Monday, January 4, 2016

T Stands For Starting off 2016 crafting!

Hi Everyone! It is the first Tuesday of 2016 and I dug into my Tea Journal to share a virtual cup of tea with Elizabeth & Bleubeard's T Stands For Tuesday. The simplicity of this page belies how long I actually spent trying to make it....shall we just say a week total? Most of it thinking and drying time.
I doubt you can see how many layers there are--four--including the one I painted over because I didn't like the colors. The first layer was a maroon frame around the two pages with the center filled in with bright cadmium yellow.  Next I lightly covered everything with gesso & pressed in some corrugated cardboard for texture. When dry I added a glaze of sea green. You can see all the colors better in real life--except for the hideous grey & pink I started with.
Next I messed up the quote....which should read, "Life is a tea cup", not what I wrote, "Life is like a cup of tea".... I embossed the word "tea" on a used tea bag.
I got this part of the quote right. Who said it? Nobody (or me) just like this.
You may be able to see some of the texture and underlying colors better. I am happy that I got it done, and I am working on not being so left-brained about it next time.  Right after I visit the others who post on Tuesday, I'd better start thinking about next Tuesday's project!

Happy T Day, and thanks for stopping by.


20 comments:

Robyn said...

lot how all your "mistakes" turned into a meaningful page! life is "like" that!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I adore this, Debbie. I've had days when I couldn't make something work, either by color or composition. I believe gesso is our friend when it comes to altered art (grin). And no one would have known the quote was miswritten (probably not a real word) had you not told us.

Thanks for sharing this fun spread with us for T this week. I hope the next one doesn't take as long to finish. I often think the planning time takes much longer than the creation time.

Linda Kunsman said...

I am so glad you kept at it and saved your spread so well!! And what's wrong with having a slip in a quote and turning into your own? Happy T day!

Christine Bennett said...

Happy new year! Looking forward to another awesome year of crafts from you :-)

Valerie-Jael said...

This is gorgeous Debbie, love the texture and colour in the background, and the quote is good so or so! Have a wonderful T day, hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

Your words flow beautifully on your pretty textured pages Debbie!
No one would know you had an oopsie :-)
Gesso is such a great ingredient isn't it.
The pretty purple fabric makes me think of sari ribbon.
Happy T Day and definitely made better with friends.
oxo

johanna said...

did you carve this tea Cup? it Looks so beautiful! i´m just sitting here drinking tea for a cystitis (ah, the wet and cold weather...).
debbie, i wish you all the best for 2016 and happy t-day!

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is fabulous - no sign to me of the changes or miswritten words! I love the subtle hints of texture and both quotes are brilliant! Happy T day! Hugs, Chrisx

Krisha said...

I think these pages turned out rather beautifully.
There is a journal page sitting on Betsy right now, that is having the same experience......drying time has turned into a couple of days already.....LOL
Thanks for the visit and the comment....it looks like we are in for some rain today....very dark clouds hanging around.

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Your pages are just beautiful Debbie!
Happy T-Day to you and
Happy New Year!
oxo
Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the quote you ended up with better :) A nice thought. Happy T Tuesday!

Dianne said...

I think it is perfect! love the sentiment...and that you used a tea bag! It is nice to look forward to tea with friends every Tuesday, isn't it? Happy New Year!

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Wow I love this!!!! Lot's of work that turned out beautifully.

Rita said...

Yes, you could see all the layers and texture from the close up--nice!
I was able to post last week but never made it around, sorry. Happy T-Day this week!! ;)

Lisca Meijer said...

Lovely journal page. Never mind about the quote. You can make up your own!
I love the light blue back ground and it was clearly visible on the close-up.
Thank you for visiting earlier,
Happy T-day,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

The best pages always seem to take the longest it seems. I love your layered background! Enjoy your cup of tea!

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

So wonderful Debbie. And it always strikes me that projects that takes a lot of time, trying and trying are the ones that comes out the best. I love this - and the story about how you did it!!! I also like the quote now!!!!

Magic Love Crow said...

You are so cute Deb! I have been finding out even with my paintings, how many layers I've been putting on them, to get them to where I want them to be! I understand everything you are saying! I think your pages turned out beautifully! Even with the messed up quote! LOL! The week spent on them was worth it! Big Hugs!

Halle said...

This is great and good for you to start off crafting! I've done a little myself. Feels good to be creative!!
Happy T day...way late!

Karla B said...

What a gorgeous page Debbie!Happy New Year!Happy T day:)!