Monday, January 11, 2016

T Stands For QuilTing

Hi Everyone! Time to join in with Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday! You know, that's when we all get together and share what we are up to. Anything is allowed as long as you share something drink related.

I've been in a sewing mood so I pulled out the only unfinished project I have which is an anniversary T shirt quilt. This year Dennis & I will be married 25 years, and I decided it was a good time to pull out all those T shirts we bought in Hawaii on our honeymoon and no longer wear, and do something nice with them. Here is my progress so far:
Since the shirts were two different sizes, I had to add a border around the smaller ones so the blocks would all be the same size. I plan to add orange sashing between the blocks and probably as a border, too.  First, I have to decide if I should do some machine quilting before I put them together. The blocks are backed with interfacing so they don't stretch--they are also pretty heavy already & I am thinking that I will not add batting. I would have liked to put it all together and then machine quilt, but I am afraid I will not be able to do it on my machine.  Maybe will tie at each corner. Here are some of the individual blocks...

 Obviously, this is one I added a border to. The one below is one of the larger ones.


 I don't really want to "destroy" or sew over the images randomly, so I may try to do some kind of free motion outlining. 
This 3rd block shows how this one has so much more free space.  I'm at a standstill right now until I decide; so if there are any quilters (or anyone) out there, I'm open to suggestions! By the way, on the blank white square at the center top I plan to machine write our wedding song. We'll see how that goes, LOL, I have extra squares!

In the meantime, I think I will enjoy a cup of chocolate macaroon tea that I picked up at David's Tea last week. Sorry the photo is a bit blurry--took them all at the same time/ same day. The other is buttered rum. I've tried them both, and they are both delicious--not artificial at all! 

Hope you all have a great T day! Thanks for coming by!













17 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

what a sweet way to use all your tees Debbie! I have nothing to offer since I am a mediocre sewer and have never attempted a quilt but looks like you are doing a super job thus far. And oh my, both those teas sound divine! Happy T day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Well Debbie, I am not even a mediocre sewer, and can't even cut or sew a straight line. But I have seen several of these tee quilts created on Quilting Arts, a show on PBS. One lady demonstrated her plastic block template she invented and shared some tips. I can't help with batting, because I seem to tune that sort of information out, but one thing she suggested was if the image on one side was small, include whatever image was on the back side. If there is nothing on the back, you can fussy cut around a design that will go with the other one and place it in the blank area. I think she stitched around the outsides of the images, but I guess I tuned that info out, too, since I have no way to free-motion stitch. However, you might find something if you do a search on QuiltingArtsTV.com At least I think that's the name of the site. It may be associated Somerset Magazine, but I'm not sure. They never show traditional quilts or techniques, which is what I like.

Would you pour me a cup of buttered rum tea? It sounds like something I would LOVE. Thanks for sharing this tea and your lovely quilt squares with us for T this week. I hope you get some good answers, and I like the idea of stitching around the images, and leaving the rest of the square blank.

~*~Patty S said...

What a wonderful and romantic project Debbie!
Your talents are endless.
Those teas sure sound exotic...
Enjoy * Enjoy!
Happy T Day oxo

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the idea of making a quilt from those squares, a romantic and beautiful project. Have fun with your exotic teas, they have lovely names. Happy T Day, Hugs, Valerie

johanna said...

a GORGEOUS Project i think!! it will be great as is...

i´m a Hand sewer mostly and for free space the only idea i have: if you have old tickets / ephemera of your honeymoon trip, you could scan and iron them onto a (separate) fabric Piece via t-shirt-transfer paper. and if you like how it turns out, you could sew this onto the space. just an idea i would try. but anyway, it is great without, too!

happy t-day!!

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Wow - I am impressed. You are sewing as well - so many talents. Such a great idea to make a quilt from the sqares!!!

Halle said...

What a fun idea! I've often wished that I held on to some of the kids baby clothes to make a quilt. One for each of them to give to their babies some day. But oh well...and no need to rush that prospect for them!! WHEW! Can't believe that thought even entered my mind yet.
Happy T day!

Dianne said...

congratulations on the anniversary! what a marvelous idea for your honeymoon tee shirts, love it! the colors are warm and sunny, just what's needed this winter...thanks for sharing this! happy T day ♥

Janet said...

Your quilt is going to be a real keepsake. What a wonderful way to remember your honeymoon.

Rita said...

Happy 25th! I know nothing about quilting, but I love this whole honeymoon quilt idea.
Happy T-Day! :)

Ariel said...

What a wonderful idea! This quilt will be bringing in lots of memories to you both. Now I wish I too knew this lovely art-:)
Happy T day

pearshapedcrafting said...

What really fabulous idea! They all look so colourful! Your tea sounds interesting! Happy T Day! Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

I've wanted to do a T shirt quilt that like. I have been collecting my husband's worn T shirts from our travels-so long as the image is still nice- and one of these days I am going to make one. Yours looks like its going to be beautiful. Can't wait to see the results!

jinxxxygirl said...

What a lovely idea Debbie... i often wanted to do something with all my daughters 5k and marathon tshirts ... ah but now they are scattered from here to kingdom come... Happy T day... hugs! deb

voodoo vixen said...

I am trying to figure out what I more impressed by, the fact that after 25 years you still have the t-shirts you bought on your honeymoon is pretty much up there!! LOL I love your quilt project, it will be such a memory piece when you complete it. Can't offer any help, i bow to your obvious expertise in the matter! Annette

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, this is so touching! I love this!! You have such a big heart! I love the way you think! I love the way you feel! 25 years!! Congrats!! I can't wait to see this finished!!! Hugs! (You are so creative!)

Magic Love Crow said...

I forgot to say, that tea looks yummy!