Monday, November 2, 2015

Northern Gannet





This post originally aired on April 7, 2009 and is being shared again today in conjunction with Altered Book Lover's Second Look on the Second.  The second of the month is when we go through our older posts and share one of our favorites or one that current followers may not have seen. Feel free to join along by posting yours and linking up with Elizabeth at the above link. This painting remains one of my favorites!

The Northern Gannet is a member of the Booby family of plunge/diving birds. They can dive as far down as 130 feet to catch the fish they eat. They are the most common type of Bobby, found from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico.

This is my latest oil painting in which I tried to capture these strong beautiful birds. The paint is still a little wet so I haven't signed it yet, but that is all that is left to do!

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

storybeader said...

beautiful painting! I love that word, Booby! talented birdie!

Halle said...

Wow! Love the painting! Oils!! They scare me but I heard they are wonderful to work with.

Valerie-Jael said...

This is FANTASTIC! Love it, so glad you are showing it again. Hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

So glad you shared your beautiful Booby painting with us Debbie and how interesting about their diving skills.
You are such a talent.
Happy Second look.
oxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was definitely impressed with your booby. I remember doing some from Mexico, but they didn't fly. Yours is simply stunning, and I can add one more artistic skill you have. You are SO talented.

Thanks for bringing this Second on the 2nd look back this month. It's a genuine beauty.

Darla said...

Beautiful work. I'm glad you brought it back for us because I don't remember seeing it before.

Krisha said...

I am so glad you chose this for your Second Look this month. I've never seen it and I think it is just GORGEOUS!! LOVE the contrast of colors and the details on the birds.
Thanks for sharing it....again

froebelsternchen Susi said...

This is unique! Absolutely fab! Great that you shared it again !
oxo
Susi

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! What a wonderful painting! Great to see this for the first time! Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

I love birds and this is a gorgeous piece. Glad you linked up to my blog, and I will be checking back to yours!

Janice Kay Schaub said...

That is beautiful, Gannets? They make a terrific subject. You did a great job. Are you still beading? I have been sewing a lot but am itching to get back to painting
Janice

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, Deb, you painted this? You are amazing girl! Do you still have it??