Friday, July 3, 2015

SOC 2015 Week 4

Hi Everyone! This week's colors are 2 reds + a metallic.  I decided to use what I started for Week 2 which was not ready in time because humid weather.  Well, I'll take you through the process briefly and you will see what I mean.

The first thing I did was gesso a page in my journal book.  The I used children's school glue to drizzle some free form flowers.
When dry, the glue was to act as a resist but could also be peeled off to leave white areas. I was having a lot of fun doing this and it came out rather thick.  This was the part that took forever to dry, and I wound up putting it in the basement with the dehumidifier running. I finally abandoned it for that week and moved on. Now we are up to this week.


I used my red & gold gelatos to go over the flowers and then smooshed them to the right with a baby wipe to spread out the color from dark to light.  At this point, after spritzing with water, I was supposed to be able to pull up the glue. Nope, didn't happen. I looked at the bottle & saw I used "washable" school glue which is the only difference and obviously an important one.  So, I painstakingly went over each line of glue numerous times with a baby wipe to have it be as white as possible. Here is my finished piece, inspired by Henri Matisse.
For my second red, I used some mulberry paper to cut out some free-form shapes,
and added the quote with gold metallic pen. It reads, "There are always flowers for those who want to see them. "-Henri Matisse

Thanks for visiting. Each week of Summer of Color stands on its own, so you can join in at any time. Here is the link to this week's challenge where you can also see what everyone else comes up with. Have a happy creative weekend!





18 comments:

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love that quote and it is so true! Thank you for sharing your art with all of us at SOC! You did an amazing job with this week's colors!

Valerie-Jael said...

A beautiful quote, and well done for persevering in spite of difficulties! Hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

That is such a cool technique!!! I love it all!!!! And the quote is to the point!!! Have a lovely weekend Debbie!!

Susan Carol said...

Love this, love the idea of the freeform flowers drizzled with the glue. Will give this a go!

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Very cool resist technique, it's a beautiful page.

Have a great weekend!

Love and hugs
Maarit

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Being a patient person sometimes pays. I would have quit before I got all that glue wiped away. And it was great that you were able to take the page you were going to make for week 2 and turn it into week 4's entry. Nice way to "recycle."

You really honored Matisse with this spread. It is wonderful and so full of FLOWERS!! Love it.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

BTW, hope your 4th is fun, safe, and filled with family and love.

Kristin said...

xo

Linda Kunsman said...

nice play with shapes and color! After all that effort so glad it all worked out in the end:)

Valerie said...

Lovely page! Nice to see how you did this ;-)

Krisha said...

I LOVE how this page turned out.....school glue and I don't get along all that well either.....LOL

Thank you Debbie for leaving the GDs a SOC comment each week.......and each week yours seem to their favorites. Thank you so much for including them.

Lorraine said...

Great technique and great results!

Robyn Oliver said...

Sounds like you had fun with this cool technique...easier next time.. will be interesting to see if the glue does peel off. Fun page and great sentiment

Virginia said...

Gorgeous!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I love this!!!!! You are so creative! I have to try! Big Hugs ;o) Miss you!

see you there! said...

The page is very pretty, the artist quoted seems to inspired the work. I've tried the resist technique but not with the glue you used, or wanted to use.

Darla

BJ said...

Super page, sorry I am a week behind... BJ

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

well done, worth the work with the work with the baby wipes to get the glue of :)