Tuesday, April 28, 2015

T Stands For Walking the Plank

Hi everyone! Another Tuesday has rolled around, and it is time to post what I've been up to and share with Elizabeth from Altered Book Lover and my T friends. Today actually marks a special day for DH & me--we met and went on our first date today, 25 years ago. We have always "celebrated" both this day and our wedding anniversary later in August.  I woke up to a beautiful poem DH wrote me and he has plans that he is being secretive about for tomorrow. But on to the title of the post....

A few weeks ago, a friend of ours convinced us to try cooking some salmon on a cedar plank.  We had one of those really warm, barbeque grilling-friendly days, so out we went to get the fish, plank, etc.
The cedar planks can be purchased right in our grocery store--they are food grade with no chemicals or other bad stuff touching them.  The first step is to soak the plank in water (or broth or wine if you are more adventurous) for up to 24 hours. This prevents the wood from just catching on fire and allows it to smoke.
 After patting the fish dry and adding some seasoning--we used cedar plank salmon seasoning we bought in our local warehouse store--we placed it on the board that had been coated with some oil. We kept the burners low and had a spray bottle of water handy for flare-ups which we never had to use. Close the cover, no need to turn it over and wait for the flavor to infuse in.
And here it is all done and ready to eat!

Have you every tried cooking on a plank? What did you think?

As I write this, I am drinking my English Breakfast morning tea, and then I am off for a day of shopping and lunch with some friends.  I can't wait to see what is up for tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I'll be around to visit everyone later today or tonight.



16 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of plank cooking, but it sounds like you have a great market. This looks awesome. I take it this is a one use plank. Regardless, the end product (salmon) looks beautiful.

Thanks for sharing your English Breakfast tea and cooked salmon with us for T this Tuesday. Have fun with friends and have a wonderful surprise tomorrow.

BTW, I laughed at the comment you made about the book pages in Kathy's AB. There were NO pictures, NO photos, only research studies that had been documented. This had been a text book, and was filled with many, many studies conducted over several years. Although I didn't read it, I scanned through it, so got the gist of the book.

see you there! said...

I do like salmon but have never tried cooking it (or anything)on a plank.

Can't wait to hear about your surprise. You will share with us tomorrow won't you?

Darla

~*~Patty S said...

Yummy Yum on your salmon.
AND what a romantic your husband is writing a poem and planning a surprise ♥
We celebrate the night we "heard bells ring" and fell in Love at a friend's party on New Year's Eve in addition to our April wedding anniversary.
Happy Happy Anniversary to you two lovebirds and here's to many many more special years together Debbie.
Happy T Day too
oxo

TwinkleToes2day said...

Ooh, that looks very delicious!! I have never heard of plank cooking and think it sounds fascinating. Im glad you had the weather to enjoy such a treat. I think we have regressed to Winter here, it is so cold. Happy T Day Debbie {{Hugs}} xo

Valerie-Jael said...

Never tried it but I am drooling onto the keyboard - I want some now!!! Hugs, Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

What a romantic gesture by DH and how sweet to celebrate twice. I have been wanting to buy some planks for grilling-and now you have convinced me-that salmon (a favorite fish of mine) looks SOOOO good! Happy T day!

Divers and Sundry said...

How romantic to celebrate your first date! I've never heard of plank cooking, but you make it sound easy and the fish looks wonderful. :) Happy T Tuesday!

Halle said...

I haven't cooked on a cedar plank for a while...the last time I did I started it on fire. I'm sure I hadn't soaked it long enough or had the burners too high. Patience isn't a virtue of mine. :)
HAppy T day!

massofhair said...

Love the romantic poem and the surprise for tomorrow! The fish and plank cooking looks fun to try, hope you enjoy your meal together :-) xxx

Carol said...

The Salmon looks very good. My son cooks on cedar all of the time and loves it. He hasn't had us over for one of those meals yet...probably because he knows Bob doesn't like fish at all :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Have seen plank cooking on tv - yours looks delicious! Hope you enjoy your surprise day! Chrisx

Rita said...

Never heard of cooking on a plank, but it looks like it worked well. Happy T Day! :)

Dianne said...

congratulations on both anniversaries! fascinating process of cooking on the cedar plank... Looks like your fish was delicious!

Magic Love Crow said...

Awww 25 years for your first date! So special! You and your hubby are so romantic! I want to know what is up for tomorrow too!! The salmon looks so good! My mom's friends have told her about this too, but we have never tried. Maybe we should!! Big Hugs ;o)

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Young Lady, I wanted to say, thanks for your amazing complements about my art!! It means so much to me!! Love you!

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Congratulations - and what a lovely gesture to write you a poem!!!! My salmon has never walked the plank.. LOL!!! Sounds like a good idea!! Did it taste good??