Thursday, April 2, 2015

Second Look on the Second








 Since this year marks the 50th anniversary of the film, "The Sound of Music" and since it is one of our favorite family movies to watch together, I felt this post was perfect for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's Second Look on the Second.  It was first posted in 2007, when I was highlighting our European trip to 24 countries. Here is the original post....

The next beautiful journey took us to Salzburg, Austria, the birthplace of Mozart. We strolled through the beautiful gardens of Mirabel Palace, built in the 1600s and many spots were pointed out that were used in the filming of "The Sound of Music". I could just picture "Maria" dancing around this fountain and gardens! Of course, when we returned home, we had to watch the movie for the millionth time so we could ooh and ahh and say, "Look, we were standing right there!". Ah tourists!


We visited the Salzburg Cathedral, a Baroque style church that was also where little Mozart was baptized. This was a beautiful Cathedral-the Baroque style evokes a lot of movement which was evident in all the paintings. It also contained 4 huge pipe organs. The dome was hit by a bomb in WWII and was restored in 1959.



Browsing the town of Salzburg you see narrow cobbles streets filled with shops & restaurants. Many of the shops still had original iron signs hung outside that displayed pictures of what kind of service the shop offered. We saw where Mozart was born and a home that his family lived in later on.

Our drive took us next to Vienna where we were to spend the night. The evening's entertainment was a classical concert in the Vienna Palace featuring the music of Mozart, Strauss and Shubert. All three lived, work, and performed in this Palace. The music was, of course, amazing and was supplemented by ballet dancers and opera singers. Even if you don't like classical music, you could not help but be awed by this performance in this location.

Thanks for continuing the journey with me. I hope you enjoyed this look back as much as I did! Wishing everyone who celebrates a Happy Easter or Happy Passover!

12 comments:

The Creative Corner said...

I'm lovin' all these pictures!! keep them coming!!

stilettoheights said...

OMG beautiful, beautiful....

I love all of these.

Ming_the_Merciless said...

What a beautiful country!?!?! Love your photos. More stories of your trip please.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Dare I say it? I've never seen The Sound of Music, but I saw that it was celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.

I know exactly what you mean by tourists. I watched a TV show in the 90s that was supposed to be in FL. I knew immediately from the landmarks that it was shot in San Diego, because I had similar photos of some of the places they shot. Later, my assumption was proved correct.

This is a beautiful post, Deb. I love taking this trip with you. That Cathedral is gorgeous. There is such beauty and history in Europe because they don't tear something down when it gets "old" like we do in America. The architecture alone had me swooning!

Thanks for sharing this second look with us on the 2nd. Hope also you saw my second comment on your previous post.

Halle said...

Lovely photos. I have to tell you the woman who played the oldest daughter lives here. She is a floral designer. :)
Thanks for the second look...or 1st in my case. :)

see you there! said...

What a wonderful trip it must have been. I like the movie a lot myself.

Darla

~*~Patty S said...

OH what a wonderful trip and great time you had Debbie!
Many years ago I took a solo nine week trip to Europe and kind of ate my way through nine different countries LOL a sweet memory of Salzburg was touring a salt mine AND eating their famous souffle like dessert the Salzburger Nockerl.
Thank you for sharing your photos...I enjoy seeing travel photos so much.
Happy April
Happy Spring
Happy Happy Everything!
oxo

Krisha said...

I haven't seen "The Sound of Music" a million times like you, but I have seen it a few times...LOL This must have been a fantastic trip, and I admit I am a little envious.......well, a whole lot envious after seeing your gorgeous pictures.

They make a lot of movies in this area, since we are only 100 miles from all the studios in LA. It is fun to watch a movie and know you have been there, or that it was just around the corner from you.

Thank you Debbie for the really nice comments you have left for me this week.

Happy Easter my friend.

dawn said...

Hello, so happy I could see this today. How gorgeous everything is and how special. I've only seen bits of it over the years but I know some who dearly love and watch it many times.
Love this, thank you for sharing.

johanna said...

oh, Salzburg is such a beautiful town... i´ve been there and should visit it again, it is not so far from here. thanks for the beautiful photos to enjoy!

jinxxxygirl said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! How wonderful to visit where the Sound of Music was filmed. Loved it! Hugs! deb

Magic Love Crow said...

Oh wow Deb! What an amazing trip!!! Gorgeous pics! Hugs ;o)