Tuesday, March 31, 2015

T Stands For Trying New Recipes

Hi Everyone! Quite a bit of snow has finally melted, but I think it is still going to be a white Easter this year.  As you may know, Easter is a holiday that floats around on the calendar--it can sometimes fall near the end of April, so this year it is an earlier date. Usually by Easter, I like to have at least the front yard raked up so it looks nice, but that won't be happening this year!

I found a very cool recipe book by accident while looking around our public library's website....
This is the neighborhood where my husband grew up! As well as having mouthwatering recipes (especially if you are Italian) from the different store owners, it is a very comprehensive look at the area. From the local church to the histories of many generations of families that have run the same stores....it is a gem to us. There is one store that we know the owner of very well--he was my FIL's best friend. My FIL used to take our DD when she was a toddler over to the store to watch him make the mozzarella cheese. Within 30 minutes of opening this book, I was scouring the internet and bought us our own copy! 

Here is the first thing I made...
Homemade gnocchi with a Mediterranean style sauce with olives and capers. My Mother used to make gnocchi (potato pillows) although she called them cavatelli which technically they weren't since she made them with potatoes.  Dennis & I were just talking about gnocchi since his mother made them too, and I was saying how I wanted to try making them.  After looking for recipes on the web, they seemed way too temperamental and complicated. I think some of the more well known chefs get carried away sometimes.  Anyway, these were very easy to make--yes, time consuming to roll and cut by hand--but that is some of the pleasure for me.  I can still see my Mom sitting at the table making these with love. The sauce was so good that I will be making it this Saturday night with manicotti (not homemade pasta) when our DD and her boyfriend come for Easter. Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T group will see my beverage that night was wine.

Do you ever read a book and love it so much you have to purchase your own copy?

Thanks for stopping by!



20 comments:

see you there! said...

After reading your post I might have to buy a copy of this very book. Have never made gnocchi. I'm hungry now.

Darla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of gnocchi. But I would love to try it. The sauce looks divine, too. I adore capers and olives. I get Mediterranean olives at a local eatery, where they sell them. They put those cans and jars of olives you buy at the grocery store to shame.

You asked what we are doing next. I'm going to let you decide, because I'm sure you won't get trapped into a nightmare like we were with those APCs. I suspect we have a time to decide, though, since most challenges begin in January.

Divers and Sundry said...

The cookbook sounds like a delight, especially for folks familiar with the area or interested in history. Sometimes a book just calls out to me, and I have to have it! :)

Happy T Day.

~*~Patty S said...

Oh My you've really made me hungry.
Pasta and yummy tomato sauce
AND
your gnocchi made from scratch...
be still my heart.
Food and Family are strong and beautiful connections aren't they.
Happy T Day dear Debbie
oxo

Valerie-Jael said...

Oooh, this looks so good. That recipe book is a great find, too. Hope the weather gets better! Hugs, Valerie

TwinkleToes2day said...

What a delicious plate of food, it made my mouth water. I too have a couple of books that I ought after reading them, or part of them and just had to have my own. It's the sign of a particularly good book imo.
Happy T Day Debbie :D xx

Linda Kunsman said...

mmm that looks like a perfect dinner to me!! I have never tried homemade gnocchi but I'm sure it is so worth the time. How special to come across such a meaningful book. Enjoy, and happy T day and happy Easter!

Carol said...

Now that looks like a great meal and a great book. In St. Louis we have an area called "THE HILL" that is an old Italian neighborhood with shops and restaurants that have been owned by the same families for decades. A favorite place to visit, eat and shop for me. My Italian MIL used to love going there with us when she was alive and talking with all of the owners in Italian... which she would swear she didn't speak when she was anywhere else.

Dianne said...

oh yes...books are dangerous for me! I have so many, but always willing to purchase another. but mine are art related...delicious looking dinner...and how do you pronounce gnocchi? is the 'g' silent? I don't have any Italian heritage that I know of, but sure do like the sound of this recipe! happy T day!

Halle said...

I've never tried gnocchi but I keep hearing more and more poepl making it. I'll have to be adventurous one day. :)
Happy T day!

Ariel said...

Thank you for sharing this dish here. Have never heard of it. Yes, I too buy my favorite books even if I have read them.
Happy T day

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day! Oh my, another yummy post to drool over. Have never had this before but heard of it. Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter.

Rita said...

Never had gnocchi, but I love just about any pasta dish. Have never been brave enough to try to make my own pasta from scratch. Maybe one day, she says doubtfully--LOL! ;) Happy T-Day! :)

froebelsternchen Susi said...

fabulous found -- I so love gnocchi... have to make them soon... thank you for the reminder.I so love them with gorgonzola sauce...
but... not good for my diet I think!...lol!
Happy T-Day!

jinxxxygirl said...

All the time my dear.. i have a very extensive library..lol... Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Happy easter Debbie!!! And yum, how delicious!!!!

massofhair said...

I do enjoy gnocchi they are gorgeous in a spicy tomato sauce...

Brilliant find Debbie, hope you have a fabulous Easter :-) xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Debbie, I KNEW there was something else I wanted to tell you, but couldn't remember after I told you to pick our next project. NO, I am not in need of a K for the AB. Although I have a few more embellishments I want to add to my AB, I plan to finish it today, then photograph it tomorrow. Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness, though. Sorry. My brain is still a bit scattered.

Karla B said...

Happy Tday!Love your gnocchi!Love your amazing post too!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, this is brilliant!! You were meant to see this book and get it! Gnocchi are my favourite! There is this little Italian restaurant around where we live. It has been there for 40 years? Everything is handmade and it is like going into your best friends house. Everytime we go, I get the gnocchi ;o) Hugs ;o)