Tuesday, January 20, 2015

T stands for Tuesday-Technique

Hi Everyone! I decided it was time to play with my wood burning tool and have a little fun.  I took some steps to show you how I made my project.  I was just experimenting and doing it my way, but there are plenty of videos and tutorials out there if you are interested.
I started out with a plain wooden heart shape that I had in my wood drawer. That is a drawer filled with wood....shapes, dowels, plaques, craft sticks, beads, heads, eggs.  This one was on the thicker side as you will see in the next photo.
Is anyone surprised that I have purple work gloves?  I started out by using the chisel tip of the wood burner to make lines all around the edge. Not looking for perfection, just trying to place the lines somewhat the same space apart.
I traced the heart on a piece of scrap paper and drew a rough idea of the pattern I wanted to burn on top.  Doing it this way allowed me to not have to erase on the wood.
Now, there are a lot of (probably) better ways to transfer a pattern onto wood, but I grabbed what was nearest at hand--some very old but perfectly useable carbon paper.  Way back before the days of computers and printers, people (me included) used to put this between two pieces of white paper, roll it into a typewriter, type the letter, and have a copy to put in a file.  Anyone remember that?  Anyway, I just lined up the heart and traced over my lines with a pencil, not pressing too hard.
I think it came out fine.  You will notice that I intentionally had some of the design go off the surface of the heart.
Now the real fun began!  I used the same chisel tip to begin burning the design.  Just to let you know, it does begin to smell like burning wood....duh!  My DH even came downstairs and asked if I had lit a match--he knows me, LOL, but when I said I was wood burning and he knew the house was not burning down or anything, he just smiled and went about doing his thing.
After I did all the outlines and straight lines, I let the tool cool off, and changed the tip to the round point to do a bit of detail and shading.  The inside of the flower and edge of the heart were also done with this tip. I went back and forth about coloring it, but I like it very much as it is.  It was really fun to do, and I see more projects in my future.  So what do I plan to do with this?
As soon as I am done removing all the paper from this cigar box, I plan to mount it on the cover.  There may be some more wood burning directly onto the box or perhaps more wood burned and added.  Making it up as I go along, and, of course, drinking tea:
Linking up with Bleubeard & Elizabeth for T Stands for Tuesday! Thanks for stopping by!
I am also linking to Inspiration Journal for their January prompt, "A new year brings new challenges"! I am determined to try a new technique every month!








19 comments:

~*~Patty S said...

Your wood burned heart is wonderful Debbie!
♥ it!!!
That is something I have always wanted to try.
It will be fun to see what you do with it.
Happy T Day
oxo

Krisha said...

That is so pretty! You have made me wonder if the kids' old wood burning tool is still around here.

A topper for a cigar box is a great idea, don't forget to show us the final piece!

Happy T-day

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Simply amazing!!!! I love it Debbie. You have a really steady hand!! The box will be lovely with the heart on it!!! I tried a wood burner once, that did not went well... LOL!! But it may be all about trying and trying again.

Linda Kunsman said...

that heart is beautiful Debbie! Yes, I do know about that carbon paper:):) I have a wood burning tool but have never used it for this process. I think I only used it a few times to do a transfer and to cut out a stencil. I love the smell of wood burning so perhaps one day I'll give it a try-when I can do it outdoors-just in case. Happy T day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You NEVER cease to amaze me. You excel at everything you do. The heart is wonderful, right down to the perfect shading.

I had a woodburning kit at one time. I may still have it. I used it one time only to finish the quote on a mixed media piece I gave to my friend Kathy. I didn't print any better using the wood burning tool than I do writing with a pen (grin).

Thank you for sharing your flowery heart, your purple glove, your tea, and your wonderful tutorial for T this Tuesday.

TwinkleToes2day said...

What a beautiful piece! I love to see wood burned art. Even the simplest of patterns always look delicate and this is not a simple piece you've done.
You might enjoy my Flickr friends wood burning album here https://www.flickr.com/photos/craftygal/sets/72157629150111685/ she is very skilled like you. Happy T Day ((hugs)) :o))

jinxxxygirl said...

Love that heart Debbie! You make me want to get out my woodburner. I have one and have used it very sparingly.... Thanks for the inspiration! Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

voodoo vixen said...

I love your wood burning and had to smile at your poor husband feeling the need to check whether the house were in danger or not! The finished heart is wonderful and I like the idea of using it as a topper on the cigar box.Happy T Tuesday to you! Annette

Rita said...

Oh yes! I absolutely remember carbon paper with typewriters! I learned to type on an old Underwood.

This turned out just beautiful! I love the smell of burning wood...could almost smell it from here! ;)

Happy T-Day! :)

Robyn said...

I have one of those so must give it a try- I only have one tip tho.

Dianne said...

your design turned out marvelous! lovely for Valentine's day...and for Tea Day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your heart is wonderful, and I LOVE those purple gloves, too. I still use carbon paper for tracing things, and remember those times well! Hugs, Valerie

Halle said...

I have always wanted to try woodburning. In fact, I had the tool in my basket several time at Michael's but just can't make myself pull the trigger on that purchase. Your's looks wonderful!!
Happy T day!

massofhair said...

WOW how fantastic Debbie, looks amazing too, can see you enjoyed yourself here. Looking forward to seeing it mounted and perhaps coloured :-) xxx

Carol said...

I really love what you've done with your wood heart. I bought myself a wood burning tool but have yet to give it a try. Soon though :)

Geckostone said...

Oh Deb, your heart is spectacular! I really got into the wood burning too over the summer, it's soooo fun!I did two lizard plaques ( what else?lol)and a couple crows for Stacy. And the plaques are so cheap at Micheals... a whole new hobby!Have fun!Deb

see you there! said...

I'm way late this week but wanted to see your Tuesday tee. The wood burning really came out nicely. I remember doing a bit of that when I was young. I think the tools actually belonged to my brother. What I remember best is the smell. I really liked the smell.

Darla

Magic Love Crow said...

Breath taking Deb! Really breath taking! Is there anything you can't do?? WOW!

Bobbi Smith said...

Wow Debbie, your wood burning project is wonderful!!! Beautiful design! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Inspiration Emporium! Bobbi