Friday, January 9, 2015

APC#17

Hi Everyone!  Well, look what I woke up to this morning:
I know it is hard to tell, but it is snowing!  You can barely make out the stop sign to the left of the most prominent tree...beyond that is the road, then lake, which you can barely see. 

Today I am sharing my latest altered playing cards. As always you can click on the link in the right sidebar to see Claudine's examples.
This week Claudine made smooshy backgrounds with her distress paint.  I knew this technique would also work with acrylics so I grabbed the same two colors, put them down on my craft sheet, spritzed with water and dragged the cards around.
They came out so nice I wanted to show them without all the embellishments.
For the first card she used a stencil & texture paste to add a large flower in the top left corner.  When I checked my homemade texture paste that I used for the #15 week cards, the black had dried up. Since the white was fine, I added some black paint to a small amount and used that. The bird was hand drawn, cut out, and some ribbon legs added. I made a few black lines with the edge of a piece of cardboard,drew the grass with black and then white pen, and added the hand written words.
For the second card, I drew then embossed a bird on a spare book page.  I also drew the black details with an embossing pen and then used black embossing powder to make them stand out.  My black washi tape had words written on it that were actually clear so the background showed through. Again, hand lettered words and a little feather added to the tail and, I love how these both came out!

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a happy creative weekend!





9 comments:

Geckostone said...

These are so sweet, Deb! I love how they speak music, music, music to my soul!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your cards make a wonderful contrast to the cold and snowy photo - winter has caught up with you! Love the warm red in those cards, just beautiful! Hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

I love birds in art!!! Yours are so cute and the text just sings like a bird!!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, I'm cold just from looking at that snow. It's basically the same here, but is supposed to get above freezing tomorrow for the first time this week.

Love your birds. They are adorable and clever. I failed to use the texture past, but now I must find that recipe, since I also need baking soda after my last eco fabric dyeing session.

I especially like the bird with the ribbon legs. You are SO clever. Hope you stay warm this weekend.

massofhair said...

WOW Debbie great minds think alike, i did the same with acrylic paints for the backgrounds on mine this challenge, will make fabulous backgrounds for digital projects too.

Loving your APC's they are beautiful, the ribbon legs look fantastic:-)

Postie delivered my parcel 1 hour ago, all safe and sound. OH loves it too, thank you again.

Hugz, Mo:-) xxx

Crystal said...

The cards are gorgeous! Lucky you to have snow, we are supposed to get a cold rain in Virginia...again

Christine Bennett said...

Stay warm, we're all getting dumped on!

By the way Deb, I don't know why, but all the images are broken for me.

~*~Patty S said...

Your cards are full of warmth and beauty dear Debbie!
Great background and the elements you used are perfect too.
I am such a fan of birds.
Happy winter weekend to you...
hope you are cozy and warm!
oxo

see you there! said...

I like both cards, they somehow remind me spring will come.

Darla