Thursday, January 22, 2015

APC #19

Hi Everyone!  This week's theme at the Altered Playing Card Challenge is Steampunk! If you have time, be sure to visit our host, Claudine, and see her wonderful examples. Here are my cards together:
I chose two Jules Verne quotes to use rather than single words and improvised with hand drawn and cut gears.
Claudine used drywall tape for her textured background, but since I used ours all up when I put the new light up in the kitchen, I went with a piece of wired open weave ribbon.  I simply removed the wire from each end and glued it down.  I used copper and silver metallic paint to smoosh the card around in and let it dry forever thoroughly. The ribbon was red, and you can actually see some spots where the paint didn't take despite running it through a million several times. The gears were cut out of some leftover paper from other projects, and I hand wrote the quote on a torn piece of watercolor paper.
For this second card, I thought way outside the box...my box anyway...in looking for something for the background.  Claudine used sheets of sparkly paper.  I thought I was going to have to resort to metallic paint and then I spied this used piece of emory cloth.  It was already used and coated with these wonderful colors which did not seem to rub off, so I went with that. I've used these metal gears in other projects, but this time I embossed them with clear embossing powder to make them rough and also less shiny. I hand wrote the  quote with my white pen and....I think I just make my first piece of grunge!

Thanks to everyone who lent suggestions awhile back about their favorite white pen.  I decided to give the Signo Uniball a try and have some on order since I could not find it in my local craft stores, and I don't live near any fine art stores.

Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

massofhair said...

Ooooh Debbie how wonderful to make your own Grunge bits, they look amazing and love all the thought you put into them. Both are beautiful and you can see how much hard work you put into your APC's. Thanks for the blow by blow account really enjoyed reading :-) xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your cards, and your wonderful ideas for improvising and making your own embellishments - really great! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was blown away when you used the sandpaper. What an exceptionally clever idea. I was super impressed.

I also like how you used some ribbon to replace the drywall tape. I had none, so didn't even consider an alternative. That impressed me, too. Way to meet the challenge head on.

Geckostone said...

Wow, your steam punk cards are really really cool, I love all the ideas you came up with!!! Let me know how the white pens work.Are they permanent? Hugs!

see you there! said...

These are great and I definitely think you nailed the "grunge".

Darla

Magic Love Crow said...

You made me laugh with the words you crossed out! LOL! These are both seriously wicked! Love them! Hugs ;o)

ionabunny said...

These are great. Love the emery board and the open ribbon background. Great ideas here. Hugz