Thursday, December 11, 2014

APC Week #13

Hi Everyone! If my calculations are correct, week #13 in the Altered Playing Card Challenge means we are halfway through our deck of cards!  This week the theme is "Bees".
If you have been reading my blog, you already know I like bees....well creating art with them at least, and that my name means "The Bee". 
I chose a card that I had added a piece of netted fabric to when I applied the gesso for this first card.  I thought it looked a little like a honeycomb. After the base coat of orange, I used tan acrylic pain to dab here and there and then rubbed it over the fabric piece to highlight it. I drew the black honeycomb sections freehand and outlined with a white pen.  The bees were in my stash. The sentiment reads, "Be your own pilot" which I came across when I was looking through my scrapbook paper.
For this card I applied several coats of marmalade DS. I have a honeycomb texture plate meant for polymer clay that I rubbed some darker brown acrylic paint on and stamped a few times.  I made my own template for the larger honeycombs and cut them out of various scrap paper. Added the bees which were in my stash and the sentiment.  See the part by the "N" in "Not"?  Looks like it didn't cover the gesso?  Well, in real life it is actually darker in that spot!

Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to see what Claudine has in store for next week!

10 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Actually, I was thinking the same thing about half way through, until I realized our first week was spent gessoing our cards.

Gosh, I am in LOVE with your bees. They are fantastic. You have created two tremendously gorgeous cards this week. I simply adore both.

massofhair said...

Two beauties this week Debbie, gorgeous sentiment on the first one and i love your hand drew the honeycomb sections.

Love the word play on your second APC and the colours of the bee :-) xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful cards, love the colours and sentiments, 'bees' is a lovely theme! Hugs, Valerie

Magic Love Crow said...

Love the cards Deb! I didn't know your name meant The Bee? Did you tell me that before? That is really cool! Hugs ;o)

see you there! said...

Both cards turned out really well. I like the colors and the various ways you achieved the honeycomb.

Darla

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

How cool that your name means The Bee!!! I love bees too and your cards remind me of a warm summer!! So lovely!!

~*~Patty S said...

I am very drawn to all things BEE and aren't you lucky to be connected to them by name meaning too!

Your cards are lovely and fun Debbie...time moves pretty quickly doesn't it.

oxo

ionabunny said...

Awww, Elizabeth is a maths genius!! I thought we were half way as well. Oh well, even more fun left than I thought. Love your bees. Great sentiments and your beez. Hugz

Claudine Criner said...

Sorry I'm a bit behind on my commenting. I love these and your take on this week's cards are fabulous! Wonderfully done.

Gloria said...

I can see you had fun with these, the backgrounds are different on each and so are the bees! Be your own pilot- great sentiment.