Tuesday, November 4, 2014

T Stands For Tuesday-Projects.....

some finished, some in progress!

Hi everyone!  After making a ton (okay, about a dozen) beaded pendants for my upcoming craft fairs, I took some time to make up another funky scarf and make some real progress in the crochet top down jacket I am making.
I have enjoyed knitting these ruffle scarves before and have seen them with pompoms on the ends, metallic highlights, and even sequins--but never with fabric on the ends! While in the craft store buying some yarn to make scarves for a neighbor, I spied this print and could not resist as I though it was really unusual.  So, something you would wear.....or not?

Now, don't laugh at the colors! I bought this variegated yarn many years ago and just happened to have some turquoise to match it for the alternate stripes.  If you have been visiting here for any length of time, you may know that I love the colors and styles of the Southwest, so these colors are perfect for me.  The piece was started from the collar and is all made in one piece--except for the rest of the length of the sleeves. What you see here is just after the point where the sleeves are divided from the jacket. The nice thing about working top down is that you can try it on as you go and make any adjustments. I have been working on it each night and will show more progress soon. 
I received a sample of this tea which was new to me, so I though Tea Tuesday was the perfect time to try it.  Unfortunately, not at all to my liking--it has a very strong, smoky aroma and taste, so my cup was empty pretty much after I took my first sip!

Linking up with Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands for Tuesday!
On a sad note, for those who have been reading along with me for years...my oil painting teacher, who became my friend, has passed away at 90.  I thank him for his inspiration, his guidance and his friendship without which the above, painted by me, would never have been possible. RIP my dear friend.


18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love that ruffled scarf, I am wearing mine today, but I have never seen one with fabric, wow! The crochet top is very smart, too. Sorry to hear about your teacher, who showed you how to make such a beautiful painting. Hugs, Valerie

Laurie M said...

the south west colors are beautiful!! I'm sorry to hear of your friends passing but he taught you well, your painting is beautiful

massofhair said...

LOVE ruffled scarves, have a white one with navy blue dots, knitted a few last year for xmas pressies so i know how great the finished items are.

So sad to read about your teacher, good that they passed on their knowledge your picture is beautiful and you will always have that as a reminder...

Never tried the tea as i am not a tea drinker, hope you enjoyed it very much :-) xxx

see you there! said...

Great scarf. I saw some of that fabric to knit stuff but they didn't have a sample made up so I could see it in use. Liking the crochet too.

Sad you lost a mentor but what a lovely painting.

Darla

Linda Kunsman said...

Pretty scarves -and yes, the sweater does convey the southwest colors! Sorry for your loss. He lived a long life and his teachings and art will live on in all his students memories. Wishing you a happy T day!

~*~Patty S said...

Your sweater certainly is a fiesta of colors! You've been busy!
I tried that tea once and a sip was all it took to say NO Thank you!
Very sorry for your loss.
Happy T Day...
oxo

Krisha said...

I would wear that scarf in a second, I think it is gorgeous, and very clever to use the fabric with it.

Happy T-day

jinxxxygirl said...

So sorry to hear about your teacher. But he and his talent will live on in you. I'm sure everytime you paint you will think of him. Hugs! deb

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love those things you are making! I still can't crochet so I am jealous!! Sorry to hear about your teacher. Chris

Ariel said...

Sorry to hear about your art teacher/friend's passing away. The painting looks lovely.I liked the color of the sweater that you are knitting.
Have a lovely week
Susan

Nancy said...

Sad to hear your instructor passed. Your painting is beautiful!

I like that scarf idea :) and the sweater is really cute.
Have a lovely tea day :)

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Sorry to read about your teacher Debbie!!! Your painting says so much in this contest!!! It is so tender and beautiful!! A great idea with a ruffle scarf in farbric - you have a million skills!!! I love the jacket and the colors match so good!!

TwinkleToes2day said...

Happy T Day - I don't like the lapsang tea either, too smoky, yes.
Your top is lovely with the bright colours. I have a ruffle scarf, but a yarn one,not fabric. It's very pretty, but I woudn't wear a fabric one personally.
Sorry to hear about your teacher's passing, but 90, what a fine age, altho' that does not diminish the loss, I know.
I hope to live so long :o))

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day! I love both knitting's you've done. Too bad the tea wasn't to your liking. At least you tried it and know. Sorry to hear about your teacher.
Thank you for sharing and enjoy your week.

Rita said...

Sorry to hear about your painting mentor and that you didn't like the tea, but you have sure been busy creating! Happy T-Day!! :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was saddened when I read about your art mentor and friend who died. But he obviously lived a long life. I was really impressed by your painting, which shows another dimension of your work.

That is going to be one bright sweater when you are finished. I don't knit anymore (and all I ever made were afghans), so have no idea where you are with this sweater. But it is definitely YOU.

Sorry, I don't wear anything around my neck. I don't even wear anything with collars. So, that is clever, but obviously not for me.

I've never heard of that tea, but I LOVE strong tea. I will look for this because I suspect I would like it.

Thanks for sharing your art, your knitting, your tea, and sadly, your loss with us for T this Tuesday.

Gloria said...

You can start the trend with the fabric scarf. Why not? Your knitted vest will look good with coral or turquoise jewelry and it'll be nice and warm, too.

Your friend must have had good genes and lots of love in his life with people such as yourself who will remember him and miss him. God bless and hope his family has many treasured memories.

Magic Love Crow said...

I love the funky scarf!! Making some for your shop?
Oh, and I love the piece with all the colours! Beautiful Deb! This jacket is going to be gorgeous!
I am sorry about your teacher! Bless his heart!
Your painting is stunning!
Big Hugs ;o)