Tuesday, November 18, 2014

T Stands for Transfers

Hi everyone! Today I am doing something I rarely do, and that is combining Claudine's altered playing card challenge with my (usually) weekly visit with Bleubeard and Elizabeth and my other Tea friends. I got a week behind with the challenge and missed last week's tea post, too, with all my preparations for the craft fair this Saturday.  I know I have plenty of inventory, but after they sent some instructions and also said the show was sold out (50 vendor limit), I think I let myself get a little freaked out!

Anyway, my "T" this week stands for image Transfers since that was also the first theme for the 10th APC challenge.  Then, Claudine added a "quirky, whimsical, think outside the box" tone.  So here are my two cards together:
This is one case where I can truly say they look better online than in real life! These were the last because I gave up, best peudo image transfers I made after having completely ruined the two I really wanted to use plus two more practice ones. 
I had completely no luck using contact paper which is what I used to make the moose. That's the one on the top in case you can't tell. The sunglasses were already there, I added the hair and hoped for the best.  The contact paper (yes, it was contact brand) was rather thick and even after rubbing all ways for quite awhile, after soaking, I about rubbed off much of the image with the paper.  I had to add highlights to the hair and outline the glasses to make them stand out.  The piggy was done with packing tape where I had a much better result, and just added the flower sticker and, of course, the smiles on each of them. It still looked too plain so I rubbed on some color and did a little border.  I should say I auditioned a few background colors, but white was the only color that made the moose somewhat visible.
The second card was also made with packing tape--however, I don't think I removed enough of the paper since it looks more like a sticker than a "negative-type" image. Or is this how it is supposed to look?  At this point I just drew some line with sparkle paint because I was totally done with these.

I needed something way stronger than tea after this but failed to  take a photo of my wine last night!

Thanks for coming by!


19 comments:

massofhair said...

Love your post Debbie, awesome combining your Challenges when you can.Good luck on Saturday, remember to take pictures so we can be there with you...

Loving your image transfers, you worked so hard on them but they look amazing, you should be pleased with them!

A week behind here again, fun to catch up sometimes :-) xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Your cards look great Debbie! Some things need a lot of practice....Glad you enjoyed the wine! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WINE. That's what you combined with these transfers? Had to laugh at these. YES, the butterfly was done correctly. Even with my monitor and its now whacky colors, I could see the background through the areas that were originally white. You did a great job. I find contact paper much harder to transfer images than packing tape. But I like that contact paper is not as shiny, so it looks better IRL.

These are well done, even though I can tell you weren't happy with them. Thanks for sharing your transfers with us for T(wine) this Tuesday. Catch the play on words???

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WINE. That's what you combined with these transfers? Had to laugh at these. YES, the butterfly was done correctly. Even with my monitor and its now whacky colors, I could see the background through the areas that were originally white. You did a great job. I find contact paper much harder to transfer images than packing tape. But I like that contact paper is not as shiny, so it looks better IRL.

These are well done, even though I can tell you weren't happy with them. Thanks for sharing your transfers with us for T(wine) this Tuesday. Catch the play on words???

see you there! said...

I like the pieces. I've worked with packing tape transfers and I think success also has something to do with the paper the original print is on. Glossy magazine pages work best for me. Never tried the contact paper.

Darla

Dianne said...

I've always thought transfers sound interesting but have never tried them...good for your for 'giving it a go! Happy T day!

Linda Kunsman said...

Image transfers are def. NOT a favorite of mine. I have always found any of the methods to be hit or miss. I think you did just fine with yours and the butterfly is just right-pretty and sparkly. Happy T day!

Krisha said...

I think your transfers turned out rather well, I never do well with them.
Happy T-day, and never give up!!

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

I wish you all the luck you can get on the show this weekend!!! Image transfering seems difficult. I have tried it on polymer clay without any luck. You did really good!!! I love that moose!!!!

~*~Patty S said...

Nice to see you for T Debbie.
Image transfers can be particular sometimes as there are so many variables.
What you created looks good from here sometimes I need to step away from things that I am not 100% happy with and they look better again later on ;-)
Happy T Day to you
oxo

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh! Good luck with your craft fair! Be sure to let us know how it goes...and pictures...lots and lots of pictures...lol! Hugs! deb

Rita said...

I tried making transfers a long time ago when I first heard about them--must be 20-25 years ago. Was a dismal failure for me, but I think back then we used Elmer's glue or some such thing--LOL! I have never been brave enough to try them again so I have no transfer knowledge to share. ;) I don't think they turned out badly, though. Happy T-Day! :)

Robyn said...

Be kind to yourself. Ithink your cards look great!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never tried transfers. It does sound interesting, but I think I'll take a glass of your wine and watch ;)

voodoo vixen said...

I think they look great and much nicer than anything I have produced using the transfer method... so I don't do that anymore. LOL

Denise Price said...

I've always been a bit scared to try image transfers and now...I still am, LOL! Hope you had a Happy T Day yesterday, and good luck with your craft show!

Magic Love Crow said...

I want to see your wine list! LOL! Deb, I think you are too hard on yourself! I think they are precious ;o) They make me smile ;o) The show is sold out? Yepee! You are going to do so well ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

Crystal said...

Awesome Debbie!

Gloria said...

Love the humor in your moose and pig card, why am I thinking of those old-time beatnik characters? Snapping fingers and poetry... That's some abundant hair, love it!

I never tried a contact paper transfer, sounds difficult, you did well.

Wine for everyone!