Thursday, November 6, 2014

APC Week 9

Hi everyone! It's time to link up with Claudine's Altered Playing Card Challenge again! This week we explored how to use the same colors in different ways--brHight and bold, and more subtle. Here are my cards together:
I used the same colors in the two cards, and I hope it is obvious that the one on the left is the bolder of the two.
I drew the swirls into the gesso when I prepped the card. After painting the background I covered the swirls with bright pink permanent marker and then added a variety of designs around it. The fairy girl came out of a scrapbook pad, and I added some colorful hightlights to make her stand out more. The birds were rub-ons as was the "welcome" which is darker in real life.
To make the second (more subtle) card, I used the green for the background and then rubbed over it with distress stain in a close shade to lighten it up.  I also stained the lace at the bottom. I used the blue to stencil some random lines in the background. I cut the lettering from a plastic bag, reversed it and glued it on--I really like how that looks! Lastly, added the floral torn from some paper and the punch out dragonfly to pick up on the pink in the other cards.

Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate all the kind comments, suggestions, and tips you have shared with me.




9 comments:

massofhair said...

Two beautiful APC's Debbie. love the colours you have chosen and the little images are just perfect. Think i might have got this weeks wrong...

Am in the process of blogging my catchup of three weeks of cards, ooops :-) xxx

see you there! said...

Interesting challenge. I like both cards, the subtle one perhaps best. I always enjoy reading about your process.

Darla

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Such fun to read about how you create!!! I love your cards and the one with the birds the most!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

They are both beautiful, you will have a fantastic collection! The second one is ma fave today! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like your take on this week's challenge. I especially like what you did with the plastic bag. That was clever. Art definitely doesn't have to cost a lot of money to be creative and beautiful. And I like how the image of your playing card came through on that one, too. Both of these are simply wonderful.

Gloria said...

I like these a lot. I've noticed you mentioned distress stain a few times, I am going to go look for some since you make it look so good. Your reversal of the plastic bags is an interesting twist. Will tuck that in my brain somewhere for future use. Have a good weekend, hope there's no snow!

Janice Kay Schaub said...

I love the very last one, I like the colour and arrangements and I always love glitter (magpie in me)...you are very good at this
Janice

ionabunny said...

Great cards. Lots to look at. Love the swirls and the birds. Hugz

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, you are so creative when it comes to these! Love them both! Bravo ;o) A+++