Thursday, October 16, 2014

APC Week 7

Hi Everyone! Time to show my latest two altered playing cards for Claudine's APC Challenge. This week her cards were nautical themed.  This is a favorite theme of mine and I had fun creating these!
Here they are together.  I tried to stay pretty true to her cards while still making them my own.
I made my background by applying a relatively thick coat of blue acrylic paint to the card and pressed n some bubble wrap before it was dry.  It looked a little like bubbles when dry, and I added some white bubbles with a pen.  It's hard to see the sea weed, but I used some fabric paint that I just free-form scribbled on.  I drew and cut the seahorse out of some thin blue cardboard.  I grunged up the edges by filing with a metal file and added the eye and fin for a little detail.  I wrote the words on yellow paper that had been dabbed with distress stain. I finished it off with a spot of sparkles here and there.
I masked off the center of this card like Claudine although you can hardly tell since the distress stain I used to color the card seeped under a little.  I like it anyway! I dripped some other miscellaneous ink here and there and since I only had a sand dollar stamp, used that and a swirl here and there. After removing the tape, I added a dimensional sticker that I removed the foam backing from. The anchor & chain were old, tarnished and just perfect! A definition of "explore" and part of a travel sticker, and I called this one done!

Really having a blast with these.  I'm also realizing that I will not use them as cards because of all the dimension, so I am toying with how to display them.  All I have come up with so far is a small photo album with the clear pages inside.  Any other ideas out there?


6 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

They are both gorgeous, water themes are always such fun. Glad you are enjoying creating them! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Goodness. I adore both your cards. I especially like the sea horse you drew. If only I could draw. And the anchor is the perfect addition to the second card.

I wanted to tell you that if you want the bubble effect I got, be sure to let the paint dry enough so there's a bit of scum over the top. Don't try to use your heat tool while the paint is first added. Once your paint has set a bit (like 2-5 minutes) direct the heat to an area of the paint until you see bubbles forming, then apply the heat to a different area. Hope that makes sense.

Your question got me wondering if they might go in the baseball card/ATC folders. I think you get 9 to one side. If that works, I'll put my cards back to back for each week. Just a thought.

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

I can see you had fun making these!!! The seahorse is just such a lovely shape to make it all go together!!! Enjoy a creative weekend!!

Gloria said...

You have a way with backgrounds, these are terrific. I like the water themes, too.

Display- maybe attach a ribbon to the back and hang them, attach a magnet and put on your cabinet or fridge, use photo corners and put in a frame or stiff board?

see you there! said...

These are great. The anchor is terrific. Just home, got your bird card. Thanks for having the giveaway and for sending me the card.

Darla

Magic Love Crow said...

I want to come over to your house and play with you ;o) These are great Deb! I don't know how else you would want to keep these? Unless you put some into shadow boxes?