Wednesday, October 8, 2014

APC Week 6

Hi everyone!  I just finished my next two playing cards for Claudine's Altered Playing Card Challenge.  This week Claudine's cards have a Halloween theme.  I really enjoyed playing along this week and really had to think out of the box since I have next to no Halloween themed stamps, stickers, etc!
Here they are together.
For the first card, I used acrylic orange paint for the background.  I added some torn washi tape with words and then ran a cotton swab dipped in paint around the edge.  I also dabbed some black in the background & some white specks. The images and words all came from an old children's book.
For the background on this card I used two colors of distress stain which looked fabulous when wet, but very light and washed out when it dried overnight. So I added two colors of some miscellaneous dye left over from some kit or other and was much happier.  Claudine had a fabulous stencil that gave her a crackled effect--I decided to try to achieve this with crackle medium...which brings us to this week's lesson.  Crackle medium needs an undercoat of acrylic paint to work.  It does not work with dyes or stain as the undercoat.  But the result is no less awesome.  The medium left a "tooth" or texture which I brought out by rubbing on some black acrylic paint with my finger.  I added a moon cut from a foam sheet topped with an owl and some black washi tape.  The bird came from a craft store advertisement, the eye I drew on paper twist and cut out, the tag was a tag, and the numbers came from a supermarket flyer.

Claudine is amazing and so talented to come up with such different projects every week!  Have a deck of cards laying around?  Come join in the fun, it is never too late!


9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your cards, and as your know, Halloween is one o my big faves. You did really well putting these together from scratch, great job. You will have a fantastic set when they are finished! Hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Scaaary!!!! Altering playing cards are still amazing to me - and yours are so creative!!

massofhair said...

Loving both your APC's they are awesome! Some fab images, liking the washi tape and the page text on your backgrounds which both add depth.

Claudine is an inspiration isn't she, feel privileged to be taking part in this Challenge, shame i can't see those on FB but i get enough inspiration from all those blogs i follow.

Looking forward to more:-) xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

I'm going to have to take some lessons from you! These are fantastic! Very creative and so much fun! I love Halloween ;o) Great job Deb! Hugs ;o)

Gloria said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

You made great cards, the colors jump out and the cats are pretty odd, fitting with the theme. I like how you used washi tape in these ways. I've resisted buying it, but you make it versatile.

Thanks for stopping by. I am slowly coming around.

Claudine Criner said...

Aww these are great, loving your cats!! Thanks so much for the sweet complement.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You did a fantastic job with your cards this week. I have trouble crackling, so I applaud you for your efforts and how you made the technique work on your terms. Good for you.

For not having anything Halloween, you truly, truly made do!! Love the idea of using grocery numbers. That one I'm keeping (grin).

2amscrapper said...

love what you chose to put on these 2 cards Helene

Magic Love Crow said...

Are you selling these ones?? I have to ask ;o) LOL!