Tuesday, September 2, 2014

T Stands For Tuesday

Hi Everyone! I am determined not to miss another week of joining up with Bleubeard and Elizabeth and friends who post every Tuesday to discuss whatever they would like.

Today, you will have to use your imagination because although I took photos yesterday with my phone (including the water I drank with lunch), the mail server I use is having technical difficulty and I am unable to download the photos.  I will keep trying and come back and add them when I am successful.

Yesterday's trip to NYC to move our daughter back to Grad School went....beautifully! There was very little traffic on the way down, we got off the correct (closest) exit and decided to stop in front of the building this time to unload before finding a parking spot.  I was giddy with excitement when I found a large enough spot to slide the minivan into just half a block from the dorm!  I was lightheaded when I managed to parallel park on the first try and even happier when after reading every sign on the block three times, DH and I agreed that the car would be safe (i.e. no ticket) where we left it.  The boyfriend had already arrived so while DD went up to complete check-in, the three of us took two rolling bins and were loaded up by the time she returned to the car to help wheel them up the block.  After unpacking a few things we set out food shopping and left the rest for later. 

We walked to Little Italy and our favorite little Italian restaurant which did not disappoint.  I had a delicious plate of Rigatoni (macaroni) with sun dried tomatoes and broccoli in an olive oil and garlic sauce and several glasses of ice water.  It was really hot out yesterday!

On the way back to the dorm we visited the reflecting pool memorials area at the World
Trade Center site which was finally open to the public for free.  They previously required tickets with a "suggested" donation which I personally took offense to.  I can almost understand charging to enter the museum, I stress almost, but visiting this outside site and having to pay just did not sit right with  me.  We located the name on the South Tower memorial of a childhood friend of my DH and then set out for the dorm again.

Since DD had the boyfriend to help her unpack and set up, Dennis & I decided to leave.  We took a short walk down to Pier 17 aka South Street Seaport just to admire the view on this really clear day.  Again, I took photos that I hope to put up later.

Thanks for reading through to the end. I realize this isn't the most interesting T Tuesday post, but you have no idea how delighted we were that the day went so uneventfully!


15 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

so glad everything went smoothly. Sounds like a wonderful day in the city-and your dinner sounds divine! Looking forward to seeing some pics and hope your PC issues are resolved very soon. That can be such a bummer. Happy T day!

see you there! said...

Enjoyed reading about your day even without pictures (I will check for those later though)

Such a marked difference from the previous move. The parking gods were looking out for you.

Darla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm giddy, too, Debbie, even though your server is acting up. So nice to read such a positive T post and wonderful move.

You made me feel like I was there with you, although I had NO idea they were charging to see the reflecting pools. I remember when I felt offended that they charged me to ride the elevator to the Observation Deck in the South Tower when I first visited there in 1985. By the time I got to the north tower, in time for my reservation to Windows on the World, I was prepared to pay to ride the elevator.

I also walked with you along Pier 17 and bought a book of mostly photos the epitomized the South Street Seaport. What wonderful memories you have stirred up for me. Thank you. This was so memorable, even without the photos.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, I reread that last paragraph. I virtually walked with you, but I really DID buy the lovely book back in 1985.

Krisha said...

Your post was GREAT, even without any pictures, we get the picture!! LOL

Yahoo is being a bugger this morning, can get to my mail box but can't read my email.....shoot!

Happy T-da

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a great day out. I agree with you about charging to visit the memorial, that's not right! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

You describe it so well I can picture it without the photos :) The food sounds great. I'm glad you had a smooth trip :)

Magic Love Crow said...

I am so happy everything went well Debbie! A beautiful day!
I agree about what you said for paying to see the reflecting pool memorial and for the museum too. Doesn't make sense to me?
I hope you are able to get pictures up soon ;o)
Big Hugs ;o)
(Everyday, I am writing and taking deep breaths!)

Rita said...

After the last trip I could feel your delight over this uneventful one! Sounds like a perfect day. :)
Happy T-Day! :)

TwinkleToes2day said...

Such a shame about not getting the photos, but your descriptio is fabulous for any imagination.
Thanks for your comment on my T post.
Happy T day :o)

Dianne said...

oh this brings back memories of moving our daughter into a dorm for the first time! a really big job of packing everything but the kitchen sink, loading it up, unloading it, and squeezing it all into the room! sounds like you had a nice day though, with lovely breaks in between. Anyone who can navigate through and park in NYC is an expert in my book! well done!

Maureen Reynolds said...

Since MT children are sending their children to college, this is not an event that is part of my life but I truly envy you the NYC day. I'm waiting til it gets cooler til I go north to the Big Apple.

Hettie said...

Glad to hear you had a stress free day. I am hoping to visit NY in a few years with my friend. The Memorial Garden is high on our list of priorities.
Hugs
xx

Hettie said...

Glad to hear you had a stress free day. I am hoping to visit NY in a few years with my friend. The Memorial Garden is high on our list of priorities.
Hugs
xx

Hettie said...

Glad to hear you had a stress free day. I am hoping to visit NY in a few years with my friend. The Memorial Garden is high on our list of priorities.
Hugs
xx