Monday, September 22, 2014

My name means Bee

Hi everyone!  I have had this idea rattling around in my brain for quite some time now.  I love Autumn and wonder if that is because I was born in Autumn (Oct. 2).  Is that true for anyone else out there....is your favorite season the season you were born in?  I have also been thinking about my name...which, in Hebrew, mean "Bee".  I am not named after anyone and do not know why my parents chose this name other than because they liked it.  In any case, these two parts of me...Autumn and Bees....came together to be this piece of art.
Always hard to photograph glass! It may not be clear in the photo, but the two bees on the right are inside the box, and the one near the bottom, outside.  The center of the sunflower is a bee's nest (actually a wasp nest) that I found abandoned just before the start of Winter a few years ago.
Here is a look inside.  I painted the inside with blue acrylic paint. I left the rim unpainted because I didn't want it to stick together. The first image of the sunflower was glued down flat and then parts of a second sunflower were glued to cardstock that I then added and bent to look dimensional.  The nest was the perfect size for the center of the flower.  The 3 bees were french beaded by me.
The little bee at the bottom moves out of the way, and the top and bottom each have a little round magnet that catches to keep the box closed. 
From this view, you can see more of the dimension inside.  The outside of the box was painted and then covered with twine.  I put a square of foam on the bottom so it doesn't mark the surface it is placed on.  I added a little resin bee I found in my stash. 

I am linking this--my very first mixed media project--to the first mixed media challenge at the new blog, The Mirror Crack'd. They will be holding monthly themed challenges that I hope to take part in. The first was perfect as the theme was "Anything (mixed media) goes"!  I can't wait to see what everyone else has created!

Thanks for stopping by!


25 comments:

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

Extraordinary work Debbie. The fact that you kept the nest for so long amazes me!! I love those tiny bees - just perfect. This is truly art!! I love spring the most - and I am an autumn child as you are...

They Come Along said...

You did a fantastic job on this Debbie! Wow! I hear them buzzzzzzzing. I was born in the winter (January) but my favorite season is Autumn. So not true for me.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your box, what a treasure! A lot of the girls in our family share your name, and it's a pretty one! Love that wasp's nest! Hugs, Valerie

see you there! said...

I like this a lot, the box, the dimension, the beaded bees. Very well thought out and constructed.

Darla

Laurie M said...

what a cool idea!! Its beautiful!!!

sheila 77 said...

Gosh, this is fantastic, all the 3D work and the wasp's nest and the beaded bees, it's outstanding.

Sue said...

Hello Debbie,
Thank you for joining in our first challenge at TMC, we are excited with the entries so far as they are amazing, and this little beauty sits right up there with them. It has great interest, I really like the sunflower very much.
Smiles:)
Sue

Pawsitively Creative said...

Oh goodness! The fact that you used a real nest is amazing. I love it! What a wonderful mixed media project. Come play at Mixed Media Mojo anytime! This month is Fall and use paste. Hope to see your creations there. Hugs!

Magic Love Crow said...

Truly stunning Deb! Wow! Fantastic! I love this! So creative! And, you used a real nest!! Double wow!!! A+++ Big Hugs ;o)

Magic Love Crow said...

I just came back to say, I REALLY LOVE THIS!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Bee ;o) I forgot to say, that I love Autumn and Winter. I was born at the end of summer, so I guess it's the same with me ;o)

Rupa S said...

Wow! your box ix so pretty! Loved the way you used the bee nest and the bees look adorable. Lovely;y project. Thank you so much for stopping over at my blog. Have a great week.Hugs.

johanna said...

wonderful busssssy Job on this!

yyam said...

Oh wow. This looks amazing!

Anni - My Creative Life said...

Debbie thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, your bee box is fantastic with the bee nest and the sun flower, so creatively made, love it.
Anni

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Wow!!!! This is fantastic!!! I mean really beautiful. I love the detail and the twine. What a great idea.
Nicole/Beadwright

massofhair said...

I am so impressed with your home made bees, they are so stunning, the patience it must have taken and the satisfaction afterwards must have been amazing!

Sensational piece of work Debbie, loving each and every little piece you have added. Truly out of this world :-) xxx

Cec said...

What a fun project and your recycled nest makes a great centre for the sunflower. I love your little beaded bees and the jute trim around the outside of the shadow box. Thanks for joining us at The Mirror Crack'd.
Hugs!
Cec

Angela Radford said...

Great project, very clever use of the wasp nest. Love the bees too, in all it's a very clever project. Thanks very much for entering it in The Mirror Crack'd challenge.
Happy crafting, Angela x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fantastic project, really a great eyecatcher.
My favorite season is summer, but I'm born in May.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have NO idea how I missed this, but I'm glad you nudged me to find it. Yep, this one outranks all the other art I've seen over at TMC. There is SO much detail, and is definitely mixed media. You are SO clever to have come up with the wasp's nest for the sunflower center. Spacial ability at its finest. This is truly AMAZING!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to tell you, since I seemed to be in a hurry to leave you a compliment, my Grandmother was born Oct 1, so it won't be hard to remember your birthday. And you KNOW my bEARTHday, of course, which is spring. As long as it isn't the dead of winter, or the heat of summer, I don't care which of the other two seasons it is.

Susanne Rose said...

Wow! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous piece on The Mirror Crack'd Challenge Blog. Have a nice day, Susanne.

Lin said...

Wowsers Debbie, this is truly a work of art. I love that you have used a wasp's nest as part of your gorgeous sunflower. We had one once that was four foot tall in our attic, and my Daughter took it into show and tell at school and sadly it got broken. If I had known then I would get into mixed media I would have kept a piece back!

As for season and favourites, mine is Summer and I loathe Winter, yet I was born on 27th December, so it certainly doesnt work for me, lol

Thank you so much for supporting our very first challenge and we really hope to see you back again in the future.

Lin
The Mirror Crack'd

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Beautiful box with all those interesting elements on it!!
Thank you for joining us at Mirror cracked challenge this month.