Tuesday, September 23, 2014

T Stands For Tuesday-ChrisTmas crafTing

Hi Everyone! I have been a crafting up a storm! Last weekend I went to a large tag sale that is held on the grounds of an old airport, about 1/2 hour away from me. It is held twice a year for families who want to purge and sell some stuff they no longer need or want.  I try to go at least one of the times and while you never know what you will find, I usually find some interesting vases that I can make beaded flowers for.  This time, however, I scored some Christmas craft ornaments.
The first ones I made were these beach themed ones.  I had some fine white sand my Mom had given me many years ago when my parents lived in Florida.  I know, I live down the road from two beaches...but our sand is the coarser variety.  Anyway, popped in a few tiny shells, a blown glass crab or fish and a piece of faux seaweed and called them done!
For this set, I filled them with cut up fake evergreen stems and added a resin Santa and snowflakes to a doily. A garland of presents and some ribbon with a star or present center and I moved on to the next batch. I'll explain about the missing ornament later.
The penguins were made in the same style as the Santas above, with the addition of icicles hanging at the bottom.  The Victorian style ornament has a faux cameo, faux pearls, and lots of ribbon roses.  These were all filled with clear iridescent mylar basket filler material.

Then came the open ornaments...These shaped like trees got the
Santa treatment!
The round batch were done in a similar manner.  One broke while I was trying to remove some runaway hot glue.  An the missing one from the box above....
Similar to the other one above, but in blue.  If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you may recall that every year I make an ornament for our daughter.  I have  been doing this since she was born...making an ornament, putting a date tag on it, wrapping and putting it in a box.  I will surprise her with them at some point when she has her own home.

Phew! That was a lot of work!  More mental than physical!  Now I have to get back to the challenges I participate in.  But first...
my morning cup of Irish Breakfast tea, and I am ready to start the day.  Linking to Elizabeth and Bleubeard and the rest of the T Tuesday gang!


18 comments:

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Holy Moly you have been busy. All these Christmas beauties. Hmm Irish Breakfast tea. Soo good.
Nicole/Beadwright

see you there! said...

When you say busy your really mean it. I'm impressed. That last ornament with the cameo and blue is stunning. If that is for your daughter she is going to be delighted one day.

Darla

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the ornaments, and the cameo for your daughter is fantastic, what a treasure! Hugs, Valerie

Krisha said...

Fantastic ornaments, and each so special.
Phew! is right, you've been VERY busy. Adore the ornament for your daughter.
Happy T-day

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Amazing ornaments - and a stunningly beautiful cameo!
Happy T-Day - thanks for visiting me!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a FIND. You did good. What is it about 3-D that doesn't, but should, transfer or translate to 2-D. You say you are collage challenged, yet you can make the cutest vignettes in those glass ornaments.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm also collage challenged, especially when it comes to composition. Yet, years ago, when I lived in "snuff" country, I took the used snuff boxes and made little scenes that remind me of your Santa scenes.

Thanks for sharing these ornaments AND your tea with us for T this Tuesday. And when you figure out the answer to why 2-D art is so different from 3-D art, please let me know (grin).

massofhair said...

LOVING your baubles what a fabulous find.You really have made them into beautiful little keepsake pieces.

Beautiful idea to make a collection of baubles for your Daughter...

Thanks for sharing your finds :-) xxx

Dianne said...

What fun ornaments you've made! I must admit my soft spot is for anything with Santa! you've made wonderful pieces from someone else's unwanted bits...lovely!

jinxxxygirl said...

You HAVE been busy! LOL! They all look fabulous too!! I'm sure your daughter is gonna love it one day. Hugs! deb

Rita said...

Yes, you have been in crafting mode! I bet your daughter will love all the ornaments you have been squirreling away for her over the years. Sweet!
Happy T-Day! :)

Juliz Design Post said...

These are so pretty and what a wonderful box of treasures your daughter will have when older. Thanks for your comment on my blog.
Julie x

TwinkleToes2day said...

Corr!! Super duper festive trooper! You have been mega busy and what glorious things you created!! And oh my word, I would love to be a fly on the wall when your daughter finally gets to see the beautiful items you have been lovingly making and storing especially for her. A real 'Kodak' moment I have no doubt. Happy T day!! And thanks for your comment on my T post too. How nice to have a well :o))

Divers and Sundry said...

Christmas fun! I've never heard of Red Rose tea, but I'll keep an eye out for it. The cup is lovely, and reminds me of winter somehow, like stars in a snowy Christmas sky... or maybe you just have me in the Christmas spirit :)

Janice Kay Schaub said...

well you have been busy. I better start on CHristmas then. Looks like you have a heads start. I get too distracted. I am still in painting mode but really not doing anything constructive. I went to an place the other day displaying some local artists work. WOw, you do just as well and hers were sellig for 200 for small paintings. I hope they sell as part goes to the new botanical gardens we were exploring. OK I am going now lol .....Janice

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow girl, you are really rocking it! I better get my butt in gear! You are putting me to shame! LOL!
I love these all! Sorry that one broke on you!
I would love to see Christie's face when she opens that box! You are a good mom Deb ;o)
Love you xoxox

Nancy said...

Oh my :) all those ornaments are lovely! that's a lot of work too :)
Your tea looks inviting, Happy Tuesday!

JackieP Neal said...

What a great score Debbie! And a super job of re-creating these ornaments!! Awesome! I love the beachy ones the best- those lil crabs are just too sweet!
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such nice words! See you soon! xo

dawn said...

Hello, what a great ornaments you found. How sweet that you make one each year for your daughter, she will love them. Your tea sounds yummy! Have a great day!