Thursday, September 18, 2014

APC Week 3

Hi Everyone!  I am continuing along with the altered deck of playing cards challenge at Claudine's Art Corner. This week I was able to come much closer to Claudine's examples--they were fabulous by the way! 
I had a lot of fun making these...and each week there has been something for me to learn, too!
I used ink daubers to do this background, and then used a stamp for the frame image in the lower right. The stamped image on the upper left came from a texture/stamp sheet for polymer clay. I have a stamping kit with lots of words which just happened to include the word, "time"! Since I don't have a die cutter, I used some metal gears from my stash and finished it off with a quote from Carl Sagan.
You may be able to see that this is one of the cards that I made a design in the gesso before it dried. I again used various liquid inks for the background. I cut apart and used part of a flourish in the upper left corner, and cut some leaves from a design pad. When it came time to do the word, Fall, I had the perfect rub on in black; however, no matter how much I rubbed, it would not release onto the ink background.  Instead it lifted the color off! So much for the black because I only had on "F"! I decided to be safe and rub the letters onto a similar color background and then cut it out and glue it to the card.  My little birdie is hand drawn and cut out of black construction paper.

I love how these came out and can't wait to see what Claudine has in store for next week's cards.  You can check out her site, as well as, this challenge by clicking on the button in my sidebar.

Thanks for stopping by!



9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love what you have made, and the different techniques you have used. I know that problem with rub-ons - some work well, others do not, and provoke many bad thoughts and language from me! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

see you there! said...

These are really nice, thanks for sharing info about the supplies you used.

I actually dug out a deck of cards thinking "maybe" but that's as far as I got. LOL!

Darla

massofhair said...

Recently i purchased a large amount of rub ons and none of them work, frustrated is not quite enough to describe my emotions...

Loving your two APC's, the colours and techniques are fantastic, i am going to try an follow the background colours for each week and then see where the cards take me. Am about to blog my week three attempts after have caught up with commenting.

Great share on how you created your cards :-) xxx

Claudine Criner said...

These are both beautiful, loving what you have done with yours this week.

ionabunny said...

These are great. Love the background colours on the cog one. Good save on the rub-ons and I like your little bird Hugz

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, dear Debbie. These two cards are absolutely GORGEOUS. I'm so impressed with both.

No, dear, I don't hate you. I just hate that I don't have the tools and equipment I think I need in order to make these. I'm going to have to learn these are my own, and I can make them any way I choose. But I sure like that you followed the general theme. That steampunk one is super.

massofhair said...

Hi Debbie, my top tip is to dry each layer before you move onto the next, i am quite frugal with my supplies so don't add too much acrylic paint, i find the DecoArt paints dry very quickly, these or Fresco Paints are my go to paints.

Also, i try to use different mediums for each layer, for example Pan Pastels for the background, seal that layer then move onto the next. Hope this helps :-) xxx

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

I love these - and the way you make the colors work together. Ink is really hard to work with. I have tried it on polymer clay and it runs a lot!!! The quote is just perfect!!!! Have a lovely weekend!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Beautiful Deb! Love them! Love your little bird ;o)