Tuesday, July 22, 2014

T Tuesday-Kitchen Reveal!

Hi Everyone! Tuesday has rolled around once again, and that means it is time to check in with Bleubeard and Elizabeth and see what everyone is doing this Tea Tuesday! I'm here early today so I will share my breakfast with you...

a sesame seed bagel and a cup of English Breakfast tea with Vanilla Soy Milk-a new favorite of mine.
In case you may have forgotten....above you will see the "before" start of the project.  See the grungy cabinets.  Not for lack of cleaning by the way.  See the stain color worn away under the old, outdated handles.  See all the scuffs and scraps, dings and just places that would not clean up any better. See how carefully I labeled everything? That is because there are 22 cabinets equaling 40 doors, 9 drawers, and 2 insert pieces. I took my time with this process of deglossing (a fancy word for scrubbing with a very concentrated soap solution), painting each side of the doors, drawer fronts and cabinet frames with two coats of color, followed by staining and a top coat.

After all was dry and cured for a few days we were ready to re-attach the hinges-all 80 of them with all 800 screws-which my DH did most of because I have a torn tendon and a pinched nerve in my elbow-but that is another post. Our house was built in the 1960s if I remember correctly, so all the measurements were standard then but not know.  Which means we had to use the same hinges that I was fortunately able to clean up, and the selection of new handles was limited.  I chose a satin nickel finish which I am happy with. Here are a couple of "after" photos:
The floor is actually red oak (we put this down ourselves also) and looks much lighter in this photo. The contrast is not that severe.
The top photo I used a flash & they look a little washed out, but the second photo is truer.  Of course, the first thing you will notice is the color is not all that different.  I love this darker color which is complimented by the tiled backsplash that has a maroon stripe. Here is one more close up, but the cabinets are not this red in person.
Now that phase 2 is complete (phase 1 was painting the walls & ceiling), I am on to phase 3 which is to replace the light over the sink.  Stay tuned and Happy T Day!




19 comments:

~*~Patty S said...

Your tea sounds yummy and what a feeling of accomplishment you must have with all that hard work redoing your kitchen!
It is looking fabulous already.
I salute you Debbie for undertaking such a big project...
Happy T Day
oxo

Valerie-Jael said...

Your kitchen look great, what a lot of work! Take care of your arm! our breakfast looks good, too - I had a sesame Pretzel at the baker's today. Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

Your kitchen is lookin' good. You must be proud :) You deserve that tasty breakfast ;)

Linda K said...

wow-I'd LOVE to have that many cabinets in my kitchen! What a job you have had but your cabinets look gorgeous and they must make you smile every time you see them. That's one nice breakfast-yum!

Dianne said...

that is a big job and I totally understand because we did the same in our kitchen-- seemed to take forever but so much improved when done!...yours looks terrific! happy T day!

Krisha said...

WOW! what a wonderful transformation of your cabinets, they are beautiful.

Your breakfast made me hungry, as I haven't gotten that far yet...LOL

Happy T-day

Flowermouse Design said...

Oh gosh - so much work. But it looks so lovely. And a good thing you did not throw out the hinges!!!! Amazing that you also manage to create so much as you do in between!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm always amazed at how lighting affects the color outcome of a photo. When I first saw those cabinet doors sitting in your garage, I shivered, since I had to mark mine, too. With mine, though, no two doors were the same, because I think they had been made by hand (or a very drunk carpenter).

You have truly been rewarded today with a lovely new kitchen AND a great breakfast. I'd say Phase 3 is a LOT less labor intensive than Phase 2!

Thanks for sharing your new to you kitchen and breakfast for T this Tuesday.

Bridget Larsen said...

That is certainly a work of love and it came up beautifully, I dont have that much patience LOL
Bridget #1

Ariel said...

I want to try soy milk too. I have heard it is good than the real milk. Wow! so much of work in redoing the kitchen and thank you for sharing it here.
Have a great week
Susan

see you there! said...

I like your cup with the swirls. You have been doing such a great job on the kitchen. I really respect the amt. of work it takes.

Darla

Rita said...

I have the same trouble with my camera not taking true colors. And the difference between with and without flash is striking, too. When I saw them all, I can meld them together and probably imagine the right color--LOL! What a TON of work! I'd be standing in the kitchen all the time admiring the finished project. Great job! I like darker cabinets, too. Happy T-Day! :)

Robyn said...

The kitchen is really coming along! And I love a good bagel with lots of butter.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb!!! You are amazing girl! This is so much work and you have rocked it! The cabinets look great! Make sure you rest in-between, please!!! It looks like it might be 6 weeks for me! Uggg! Big Hugs ;o)

Halle said...

Lots of hard work on those cabinets...Love the red.

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Ooohhhh aaahhhh lucky you. Your kitchen looks beautiful.
Nicole/Beadwright

Gloria said...

I've got nostalgia for bagels, they're not the same here as in the East, enjoy.

Sorry your arm is in a state. Hope the tendon heals well and soon. Now that the work is done you can relax a bit. (I've got the pinched nerve and rotator cuff thing going on, it's been a few weeks.)

Your cabinets look terrific, the color matching the tile in the backsplash is a great touch. I think you did the backsplash last year, maybe.

I'm glad you and hubby survived the makeover and the humidity!

Denise Price said...

I'm too late for T-Day, but just in time to see the cabinets. They look great! All your hard work was definitely worth it.

~Rasz~ said...

WOW!!! I haven't been blogging for a while and wanted to stop by! Your kitchen job is great. Doesn't it make you feel so good? I am like you and would be counting every single hinge, cabinet, screw, etc! I have to not stay away so long. Please be careful and don't overdo it! Hugs, Rasz