Tuesday, July 29, 2014

T Tuesday-Kitchen Light

Hi Everyone! Tuesday means it is time to link up with Bleubeard and Elizabeth for a T stands for Tuesday post.

This Tuesday finds me doing touch ups in my completed kitchen and getting back to a little art.  As I hinted last week, the next "big" job to tackle was this old, crummy, recessed light fixture that has a mind of its own....
This house was built in the late 1960s by a friend of my husband, and while I am sure this was the style back then, I have hated  disliked this fixture for some time now.  Especially since every time the weather is a little humid you can flip the switch as much as you want, and nothing but a little glow at each end of the two fluorescent tubes happens. I'll spare you the photo of the empty hole, but will tell you it is 2 feet (60 cm) long by 8 inches (20 cm) wide with just the electrical wires hanging down.
The first step was to install an electrical box to hold up the new fixture and enclose the rest of the hole with a new piece of sheet rock.  It was a little challenging because of the small working space, but I was satisfied that the end result was as perfect smooth as I could get it. The blue painter's tape is on the window frame because my "last" task (is there ever a last task?) was to stain the window frame to perk it up. After painting the ceiling, we installed the new track lighting fixture:
Even changed out the switch because this fixture could be used with a dimmer switch:
I'd say I deserve this cool drink of strawberry basil iced tea with a sprig of my homegrown basil.
I happened to get this as a free sample-it is probably not a flavor I would have bought. Fortunately, it had more of an aroma of basil than a taste and just an undercurrent of strawberry.

That ends my major home improvement jobs for this summer, and now I can get back to the more important or at least pleasurable "job" of crafting.  Starting small and slowly with beading since I have been having some issues with my hands and elbows (unrelated to all the work I've been doing), but all is slowly improving.
So what are you up to this Tuesday?  Thanks for stopping by!






21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

You new light fixture is an enormous improvement, good for you. You have worked hard, and deserve more time for crating now! Take care of yourself, hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

That pretty light fixture is the perfect finish to illuminate your lovely new kitchen...I like dimmer switches alot.
Hope your pains leave you very soon...
your beaded creations are so delightful and I can only imagine the dexterity and time it takes to create such masterpieces!
Happy T Day
oxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, that was a major undertaking. I've installed those boxes that hold the light fixture and wires before, too. And it was good to see you could add a dimmer switch. I'm big on those, since I installed them several places in my home, too. There's just something about ambient lighting, isn't there?

I have some fresh basil, too, so I may have to try some of that tea. Never thought to use it that way, though. Sounds like yours was not as tasty as it could have been.

Glad to see you are back, making some of your wonderful beaded flowers. I hope your hand problem improves soon.

Thanks for sharing your final kitchen project with us for T this Tuesday.

Krisha said...

WOW! What a transformation to the light fixture. I absolutely love the new one. I have recessed lights in my kitchen, and rather HATE them myself. So now I am so jealous that you have beautifully finished cabinets AND a gorgeous new light.

You tea sounds interesting, would have never thought to put basil in tea.......but then I'm not a big tea drinker.

Your beading is always sooooo pretty!

Congrats on getting your kitchen finished.

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

That light looks so pretty. It is amazing what a few changes can do to the appearance and feel of a home. Well done. Love your flowers.
Nicole/Beadwright

Ariel said...

The new light fixture looks great. Hope to see more of your bead flowers.
Have a lovely week
Susan

Dianne said...

I am impressed with your new light fixture! it is lovely, as are your beaded flowers...happy T Tuesday!

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh my goodness i had to enlarge that flower picture. Those are all beads!!! Amazing. I would never have the patience....

What an awesome job you did on the light fixture. Looks great!! I really like it! Hugs! deb

Deborah Weber said...

Yay for home improvements that delight like a pretty new fixture. And double yay for it being finished. And what lovely beaded flowers!

They Come Along said...

What a big difference in changing a light! Love it and those beaded flowers. Hope you feel better.

froebelsternchen Susi said...

such a pretty light!
Happy T-Day!

Robyn said...

My mother used to make those beaded flowers. Good memories.
I have that same crummy fluorescent fixture. I hope I can update mine as nicely as yours.
That's strawberry basil T looks yummy!

Flowermouse Design said...

Such a huge job you have done - and so nice with the new light!!!! You really deserve that tea - and to get healed. Get well soon!!! And your beaded flowers is as always just lovely!!!

Bridget Larsen said...

Love the new light fixture, I would have hated the old one too, it has no personality. That drink does not look anything like strawberry.
Bridget #1

see you there! said...

The new light fixture is so much more attractive. You should feel very proud of the work you have done on the kitchen. You deserve a tea break.

Darla

Nan G said...

Great job changing out the light fixture and doing the new sheetrock work yourself!! Love the new lights. And the beaded flowers are gorgeous!

Rita said...

Wow! No comparison! And a dimmer switch now, too! Awesome job and great choice. Always amazed by your beaded flowers. Happy belated T-Day! :)

Carol said...

Love the new lighting!!! I need to update my kitchen lighting too. It's so boring :( The drink sounds good to me :)

~Rasz~ said...

Great choice for your new light. Very pretty and glad that's it for your summer upgrades. Now time for your fingers and hands to rest up. Have a great weekend! Hugs, Rasz

Magic Love Crow said...

Your new light fixture rocks Deb!!!! You did amazing this year with everything! You should be very proud! Rest, take care of yourself, drink some tea, put up your feet and relax ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

Gloria said...

Snazzy new light looks great! I had a fluorescent over the kitchen sink and replaced with something which makes me so glad it was worth the effort, too. Between the humming of the tubes and the dim light- it had to go...

Enjoy all the fruits of your labors and hope that your arms feel better very soon. Beautiful kitchen!