Tuesday, May 20, 2014

T Stands for Tuesday Tea Cup Edition

Hi everyone! I had so much fun last week researching the teapot post that I decided to do it again...only this time on tea cups!  I'm linking to Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T Stands for Tuesday!

World's largest cup of tea: The Guinness Book of World Records credits this to Sri Lanka (formerly known as Ceylon) which is also one of the world's leading producers of tea.

A mixture of 1000 gallons of water, 141 pounds of tea, 353 pounds of sugar, and 1,929 pounds of malted milk power were mixed and pumped into this giant red mug.  It holds the equivalent of 32,000 cups of tea!
World's smallest teacup: This 22k gold tea cup measures just 6 mm which is roughly a quarter of an inch.  It was created to commemorate the Queen of England's Diamond Jubilee and is valued at 137 pounds, about $230 dollars. 

When and why did the tea cup get a handle?  Drinking tea originated in China which they drank out of round, decorated tea bowls.  The English followed this custom until the mid 1700's when they added a handle to prevent ladies from burning their fingers.

One final random bit....
An English tea company holds the record for the largest tea bag--capable of brewing 50,000 cups of tea!  It took 3 people 3 hours to fill the bag which measures 2.4m x 2.4m, approximately 8 feet square! It weighs 120 kg or approximately 264 pounds---Now that's a cup of tea!

Happy T day everyone, and thanks for your visit and kind comments!

18 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

ceylon does seem the perfect place for that huge tea cup! it's fun to see what folks get up to lol

i didn't realize where handles on teacups got its start. thx :)

see you there! said...

The addition of the handle to the cup is very interesting. I love bits of history trivia. Thanks for doing the research.

Darla

Valerie-Jael said...

Another good read, I love learning facts like that. Lovely selection of cups, too. Have a good day, hugs, Valerie

Linda said...

fun tea trivia and facts-Happy T day to you!

Super Stamp Girl said...

I love it Debbie, it's equally as entertaining as last week's teapot post! I love that giant tea bag! Happy T-day to you.

Flowermouse Design said...

That was fun to read - thank you for sharing this!!! Love that large teabag!!!

Ariel said...

Again Thank you for all these fun facts. My favorite among them is the mini cup
Susan

Rita said...

LOL! This was interesting, informative, and entertaining, too! Happy T-Day! :)

Krisha said...

Hey! This is so interesting, thanks for all your research, and sharing it. Fun facts to know.
Happy -Day and thanks for the visit.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always love a bit of trivia. And the handle on the tea cup is a gem. I have both oriental and "regular" tea cups, but had no idea when the design concept changed. I know my pinky doesn't lift when I drink from a handled cup (grin).

Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing these tidbits with us for T this Tuesday.

Halle said...

Gotta love trivia! More knowledge to crush my competition. :)

Denise Price said...

Part deux of T Day Trivia was fun to read. Thanks for doing the research! Hm, I wonder what tea with malted milk powder would taste like. It sounds good. I might have to try that.

~*~Patty S said...

More fun tea trivia...
thanks for sharing these fun facts and photos too!!!
Happy T Day
oxo

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Your are fast becoming a "tea" expert. That makes sense about the handle. LOL Love this post.
Nicole/Beadwright

Vicki Miller said...

I am loving these posts of yours. wish I had known some of these things before I nearly finished my teapot sketchbook, lol

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day a day late!

This was so fun to read, that tiny tea cup is so pretty and I can't imagine seeing one so large. I had no idea about the handle being added later on, I'm glad they did though.

Thanks so much for searching and finding all these facts for us. I l do LOVE reading them!

Dianne said...

such fun to read about your tea stories! that tiny tea cup is truly amazing, as are the giant tea cup and tea bag. hope your T day was a fun one...I'm very late visiting. have a good one!

Magic Love Crow said...

I love all this information! It's so much fun! I just wonder, like the world's largest cup of tea, was it drank up? LOL!
Hope you are doing well ;o) I'm a lot better ;o) Big Hugs ;o)