Tuesday, April 15, 2014

T Stands For Tuesday

Today I am joining Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday at breakfast.  I woke up two hours earlier than usual this morning and simply could not get back to sleep.  After tossing and turning for 1 1/2 of those hours, I finally gave in and got up to make breakfast:
Reminds me more of Christmas with the red strawberries and green teapot.  Even the Irish Breakfast teabag has a red and green theme.  However, my thoughts are more on Easter preparations and decorations this week.

I made the embellishments for this bead a while back  Hmmm, another dual holiday? Is it Easter or Halloween?  Anyway, I made a simple egg cabochon from polymer clay, glued it to a felt tunic and beaded around it. The ears were just some bits of white fleece and pink felt.


I made these Ukranian Easter Eggs, or Pysanky Eggs many years ago. Pysanky is a method of writing on an egg with beeswax and dying it in multiple colors to make intricate patterns. It is done with a special tool called a Kistka that looks like a teeny tiny funnel on a stick. Beeswax is added to the tiny cup & melted over a small (candle) flame until it flows freely out of the tiny tip. The idea is to work from light to dark so any area that you want to remain white on your egg is outlined first with wax. Then the egg is dipped into the next lightest color that you want to use, yellow for example. Then any areas that you want to remain yellow are covered with wax, and the egg is then dipped into the next darkest color. You continue on in this manner until your pattern is complete and you have dipped your egg into the last, darkest color.

The next step is to hold the egg over a candle flame to carefully melt the beeswax. Kind of a melt, wipe, melt some more mantra! Soon you will begin to see the beautiful colors and pattern emerge and voila!--you have a Pysanky egg.
Traditionally, the eggs were left intact and eventually the inside would "dry up". Well, after ruining several as the liquid inside started leaking out, I decided to carefully "blow them out". I found some very tiny, decorative bead caps which I placed over the two holes when the eggs were completely dry and it gave them a finished look. As you can see, I display them (year round) on a variety of napkin rings.
Wishing all my friends a Happy T Day,  Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and Happy Egg dying!

16 comments:

Linda said...

such a lovely breakfast to start the morning. Adorable bunny, and those eggs Debbie-wow!! The art is stunning and I can just imagine the time and patience it takes to complete a design. Truly special. Happy T day to you!

Divers and Sundry said...

i've never had eggs turn out nearly so well as yours. yours are beautiful! :) they are fun to make, though, even if they don't turn out pretty enough to keep :)

Krisha said...

Your eggs are totally awesome! Such intercut details and breath taking designs.

Thanks for the visit
Happy T-day

Willow said...

Loving that Spring egg collection.
I keep telling myself I am going to try my hand at polymer.

see you there! said...

Your eggs are so pretty. What a clever use of napkin rings as egg holders. I may have to copy that idea.

Darla

They Come Along said...

Nice tea. Those eggs are so gorgeous! Love them.

Gloria said...

I find getting up when you can't sleep is a good idea, too. It's quiet and peaceful and lovely early in the am.

Your bear with the egg is adorable.

Your eggs are beautiful and dramatic, wow. Patience and details show in your designs.

I'm catching up with your posts from the past few weeks. You've been busy and the flowers are fabulous!

Happy Easter to You, too!

Dianne said...

Adorable little 'bunny' bear, and gorgeous pysanky! I've never had the nerve to try decorating eggs in such a detailed way, but really admire the tradition and the beauty of the finished product. happy T Day, and Easter too!

Rita said...

Those eggs are gorgeous! Wow! Can't stop thinking about all the work that went into them. They are just stunning! Happy T-Day! :)

Denise Price said...

I love all your festive photos, but especially the pysanky. I have made them before, but mine did not turn out as nice as yours. I love your idea for using bead caps to cover the pin holes at the top and bottom of each egg--I'll definitely have to try that next time. Happy T-Day!

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day! Sorry you woke up early, that happens to me at times too. Pretty little breakfast setting you have today. I love your cute bear/bunny!!

How pretty your eggs are, my mom had a friend who made those when I was a kid. They were pretty too look at but "hands off" we were told.

Happy Easter! Thanks for sharing and hope you got a nap or sleep good tonight.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love those eggs, they are wonderful! And your dressed up Halloweaster bear is a winner! Hugs, Valerie

Halle said...

Those eggs are amazing! The bear is too cute. The lady that lives nex tdoor to my mom put bunny ears are her cat statue at her door. Made me giggle this morning. :)
Here's to a better nights sleep tonight!!

Hettie said...

Gosh your eggs are stunning. I have seen something similar in Czech - usually done by older ladies. How clever of you.
Love your bear too.
Hugs
xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Just goes to show that even your Bunny Bear is auditioning to be the Cadbury Bunny. He is so cute, and I'll vote for him (grin) with his cute egg embellished tunic.

As for the Pysanky eggs, I've seen lots, but none as nice as yours. You rank right up there with Lisa Pavelca. I know she is famous for her clay, but she is also famous for carving eggs and the Pysanky egg designs, too. Yours could truly rival hers!

Thanks for sharing your Tea Pot, your Bunny Bear, and your stunning Pysanky eggs for T today.

Magic Love Crow said...

I never knew you made Ukrainian eggs! You talented girl! ;o) Your breakfast made me hungry ;o) That's what I eat basically every morning ;o) I love your teddy-bunny bear ;o) So cute ;o) Happy Easter my friend ;o) Big Hugs ;o)