Tuesday, April 1, 2014

T Stands for Mini Tea

Hi Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Stands For Tuesday with a mini post about a mini Tea set.  Here is the link to this week's post--feel free to join us to talk about whatever you like as long as you somehow include a beverage!

Today I am sharing a mini tea pot and dessert plates which obviously don't match or even go together.
The two plates are English bone china and feature romantic vignettes of music and courtship.   To give you an idea of their size....
I photographed one with a regular size "cake plate".  The plate is from a set of china given to me by my parents--it was theirs and I really treasure it.  I love the violet pattern.  I put "cake plate" in quotes because I realized after I uploaded the photo that this is actually a cup saucer--but they are the same size as the cake plate so I did not change it.

The little tea pot was my grandmother's, and I do not know much about it other than it is stamped "made in occupied Japan". That term refers to a time in history after World War II between 1945-1952 when Japan was occupied by Allied forces.  As Japan tried to revive their economy, part of the deal was that they stamp an amount of things being exported in this way.  Although it was meant as a negative, probably demeaning thing to the Japanese, it did two things. One, it made their exported items purchasable since Americans especially would not buy anything Japanese, and two, the labeling spawned a huge collecting frenzy which continues today.
I'm guessing this tiny little tea pot was once part of a children's play tea set although I don't remember ever seeing cups and saucers.  For as long as I remember, it always sat in my grandmother's china cabinet, and that's which it is prized by me.

Happy T Day everyone!




17 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It took me awhile, but I finally saw the cake plate was really a saucer. It is lovely, as are your other beauties. And the saucer really reminds me of spring, which I'm hoping is soon on its way.

My grandmother also collected a few of those occupied pieces, which I loved, but are now all gone because I'm not very good with china and other breakables. I certainly adore yours, though, and can reminisce from afar.

Thanks for sharing this history lesson and these beautiful pots and plates with us during T today.

Divers and Sundry said...

oh, how tiny! and sweet :) things are always lovelier when they are family treasures, aren't they.

Dianne said...

Such beautiful china! love how delicate and colorful...of course anything that belonged to Grandma is to be treasured! happy T day + April Fools Day!

~*~Patty S said...

those pieces are absolutely charming and the teapot certainly is a fabulous treasure now in your keeping!

my T post today has mini daffodils and a mini teapot I rescued...we are on the same wavelength ;)

your comparison photos are excellent too!

Happy T Day to you Debbie
oxo

Linda said...

I love those English plates and that sweet little teapot! I have some items with the "occupied Japan" markings that had been my grandmother's and great grandmother's. Happy T day to you!

Linda said...

I love those English plates and that sweet little teapot! I have some items with the "occupied Japan" markings that had been my grandmother's and great grandmother's. Happy T day to you!

Halle said...

That is so darling. I have a mini set as well...actually now that I think about it...Little J has it on her shelving. Hmmm...little stinker.

Flowermouse Design said...

That is so cute!! And interesting to know that even china could be used politically... So lovely that is has been in the family for that long!!! And thank you for sharing this!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your gorgeous mini crockery. They are real treasures.
Hugs, Valerie

Magic Love Crow said...

I love this little set, even though its not a set! They are all so precious and tiny! So cute ;o) I love the history and I love how long they have been in your family! Beautiful! The violet plate is so pretty! Big Hugs ;o)

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day!! WOW, these are soooo cute and tiny. I love miniature things. Neat to see them against the bigger versions, so cute!!
Thanks for sharing!

Myriam Kozik said...

Happy T-Day!
Those are really pretty plates. Thanks for sharing the info behind your grandma's teapot. Learn something new again.

Vicki Miller said...

Gorgeous little things. I love tiny things and for them to have belonged to loved ones is great.
happy t day

see you there! said...

All of the pieces are beautiful but there is something about tiny china that captures my imagination. How nice yours holds memories of your Grandmother.

Darla

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

oohhhh I really LOVE this little red tea pot.
Nicole/Beadwright

Ariel said...

Those mini plates are so beautiful. Love the romantic picture on them.
Thank you for your comment on my post. Yes, i will be adding color to the doodle-:)
Happy Wednesday
Susan

They Come Along said...

They are so tiny and wonderful! Love tiny things.