Thursday, March 13, 2014

Craft Barn Challenge #5 Art and/or Road

I was so happy when I saw the two prompts for the 5th Craft Barn Challenge! I knew right away, even before seeing some of the beautiful examples from the DT, that my inspiration was going to be George Harrison's song, "Any Road".  My husband enjoys putting our travel photos on DVD and has gotten quite proficient with adding effects and music.  When our daughter returned home from studying at The University of Oxford, he did the same with her photos, using this song which often plays over and over in my head.  You see, as he is trying to get the timing exact, he plays a song, or a snippet of a song, over and over again until he gets it matched up just right.  It's a good thing I love this song!

I used blue acrylic paint mixed with a glazing compound for the background, and hand cut (since I don't own a die cutting machine) all the elements.  Inspired by the first lines of the song, I created the signpost with vehicles cut out of a street map and arranged in order.

In case you are not familiar, here are the lyrics from the first two stanzas:

But I've been traveling on a boat and a plane
In a car on a bike with a bus and a train
Traveling there, traveling here
Everywhere in every gear

But oh Lord we pay the price
With the spin of the wheel with the roll of the dice
Ah yeah you pay your fare
And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful piece, and I just love that song, it is one of my all time faves! Hugs, Valerie

Elaine said...

Love how you've done your signpost and I love the great lyrics!

Scrapmate said...

A great piece of art.

Margik said...

Love the idea of post and great lyrics.

Flowermouse Design said...

I love that you have cut out the things one can travel in!!!! That is so cool!!! And the line from the song is really singing to me!!! Have a creative and blessed weekend Debbie!!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh does this appeal to the traveling me. I love it!

Happy St. Patrick's Day weekend!

Krisha said...

Hi Debbie, this is a wonderful journal page. Great idea for the sign post.

Thanks for the earlier visit, and always leaving such nice comments.

Magic Love Crow said...

Brilliant Deb! So creative!!! I love this creation! I think I know the song ;o) I bet seeing your photos on dvd are a great way to enjoy them ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I stopped by earlier, but apparently didn't stay to leave a comment. My apologies.

Talk about IMPRESSED. Your sign post, made from road maps, is stunning. I'm not sure they make dies that are as clever and lovely as what you have made. I'm practically SPEECHLESS.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a wonderful idea. Love the signpost with all the vehicles.

Crystal said...

One word...awesome! Have a great weekend!

Lynn Holland said...

Great signpost. Well done its really good

Craftyfield said...

Lovely illustration of the lyrics. Well done on your drawing/cutting too, your vehicles look great.

juliewheatman said...

Love your interpretation of the lyrics using the sign post, very cleverly done

Nancy said...

Love your card--awesome!

lena-dailyscrap said...

Great idea - cool sign!

BJ said...

Great piece and cool aback story too. BJ

gardenpinks said...

Love the way you have created the sign post and cut vehicles out of maps - very clever and a great quote/song too.
Lynn

Sylv said...

Running late with all my commenting this month but here I am. Fabulous lyrics and wonderfully depicted, love the signpost.

Sylv xx

Lesley said...

Lovely signpost and great lyrics! xx