Sunday, February 2, 2014

New Year, New Challenge

Last year many of you followed along as I took on the polymer clay challenge that worked through Christi Friesen's books.  This year, since I am working on a large custom beaded order, I was looking around for something different to keep me inspired when I am ready to take a break from beading. After a visit to Bleubeard and Elizabeth, I found just the thing!

The Craft Barn is having a Quotes & Lyrics challenge! Every two weeks they provide you with two word prompts and your job is to create a piece of art using a quote or song lyrics that include one or both of those words.  You are encouraged to stay with the same format all year, so you wind up with a cohesive collection of quotes and/or lyrics.  Art cards are a fun exercise for me!  Since I love and often do use quotes in my art, and since every two weeks sounds like a commitment I can handle, I'm in!  So to catch up, here are my first two pieces...

The word prompt I chose was "Smile".  This is a quote from Mother Teresa that I like.  I used acrylics on an art card blank.

For the second challenge I chose "Silence".   This is a quote from Christine Rossetti, and Poet who was born in London in 1830.  Perhaps you already know this, but there is a species of Swan (Cygnus olor) that is mute.  In my opinion watching one of these majestic creatures glide through the water is indeed musical!  I attempted to do some embossing on the card, but I think the stamp pad was too dry, so I stamped over it instead.  The swan was hand drawn and cut from a paint chip sample.

If you are into any paper crafts, card making, stamping, etc. you might want to check out The Craft Barn and see all the goodies they have to offer!






10 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Two lovely projects, with beautiful quotes for both. Have fun with the challenge, looking forward to seeing more of your pieces! Hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design said...

Adorable, both of them. But the swan sings Debbie!!! It is always fun with your challenges!!!

Gloria said...

Ahhh these are inspirational pieces...the swan card is beautiful and the smile card says it all. Thanks for sharing these, much appreciated.

Hope your weather has warmed up- we are still in the terrible 20's in the daytime. Spring is coming eventually!

Elaine said...

Great pieces of art - love your animals!!

see you there! said...

Like them both. It sounds like a fun challenge and the two week spacing makes it easier to keep up with.

Darla

Scrapmate said...

2 fun pieces of art.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, your first two pieces are wonderful! I love them! The quotes are beautiful and I love your animals! You should do more ;o) Sorry about all the snow you're getting!!! I know wednesday, I will be digging out again! Big Hugs ;o)

TwinkleToes2day said...

Visiting from The Craft Barn - loving both of these very much. I look forward to seeing your future works in this challenge :o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have NO idea where I've been for the past few days, except maybe huddling under a warm blanket. So glad I inspired you and I look forward to what you create in the future.

Both of these are wonderful. Very impressive use of your art, and I adore the swan. Yes, I've heard of that swan, but never seen one in life.

Maisie Moonshine said...

Lovely layouts and quotes, and I'm glad you have found a challenge to fit in round your work, it is good to have a change to keep your focus and perspective. MMx