Tuesday, January 21, 2014

T Tuesday Take Warning!

"Red Sky at night, Sailor's delight...Red Sky at morning, Sailor take warning!"

Have you ever heard this saying?  I have and always wondered why the saying might predict the coming weather, so I did a little research.  According to the Library of Congress, to understand this, you have to understand a little about weather and sky color.  Weather systems generally move from West to East across the country.  That's easy enough to understand.  That's why I always listen to Elizabeth's weather since she will have experienced it several days before us (in general).

The colors we see are a little harder to explain, but basically, sunlight passes through the atmosphere and bounces off water and dust particles.  Depending on the amount of these particles, we may see the sky as red since the red wavelengths are the longest.  Did I lose you yet?  The abbreviated explanation: red skies seen in the morning mean a lot of moisture in the atmosphere and rain or snow is likely on the way!


This was the sky this morning although it looked much redder to the naked eye.  And it is indeed snowing with predictions of 4-6 inches in our area and as much as 12 inches south of us. 

Research made me so thirsty, I forgot to take a photo of my Orange Pekoe tea that I am drinking today.  I hope you enjoyed my little weather lesson, although our lovely T Stands for Tuesday Host, Elizabeth, is a Scientist and may likely explain all this much clearer!

13 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yes, I've heard that saying before, but never knew what it meant. I totally understand the wavelength and you didn't lose me with what you had learned. And that photo is stunning, too.

With all that research under your belt, I can understand why you forgot to show your tea cup today. Hope the tea warmed you. It's definitely cold here and the forecast is for even colder weather through the end of the week.

Valerie-Jael said...

Great explanation, and the sky is always so fascinating so watch. Hope you enjoyed your te all the same! Keep warm! Hugs, Valerie

Denise Price said...

Your photo is pretty, even if the red sky is supposed to be a warning. Happy T Day!

Flowermouse Design said...

What a great explanation!!! I love that red sky - but not all the snow coming. We have a lot right now and I do not hope yours will come as well!! LOL!!

Hettie said...

Well they say you learn something every day and today I have learnt about the red sky. Though I know it as "a red sky at night is a shepherd's delight, a red sky in the morning is a shepherd's warning". Maybe that is because I live in the heart of Wales!
Hugs and Happy T Day!
xx

Vicki Miller said...

Orange pekoe! and an orange sunrise too! Thanks for the explanation

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Deb ;o) I heard on the news, you guys are going to get hit bad! Please take care of yourself!! I hope Christie will be ok ;o) They were showing New York and how they were closing things down! Thanks for the weather lesson ;o) I promise to write back by the end of the week ;o) Taking mom to the doctor's tomorrow ;o) Big warm hugs ;o)

Magic Love Crow said...

Forgot to say, cool new aceo ;o)

Dianne said...

well I must admit I love pink skies but had never thought much about why they occur. great bit of info, and enjoyed the lesson!

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Yeah I know that saying but didn't know the science behind it. Thanks for taking the time to look that up.
Glad you enjoyed the tea. LOL
Nicole/Beadwright

see you there! said...

What a pretty red sky. I know the saying too and think of it often when the sky turns red at either sunrise or sunset.

Darla (late getting around)

Rita said...

I've heard that saying, too, but never knew why it was usually true. :)
Happy belated T-Day!

Gloria said...

When I hear that, I just think of going to the beach or boarding a ship! Makes sense though. Hope you didn't get bombarded with snow.