Monday, September 30, 2013

Tea Tuesday Trip

Hi everyone! This past weekend, my husband & I traveled to New York City to spend the day with our daughter & celebrate my birthday. (Oct. 2). It was a gorgeous, warm, perfect day.

After walking around Chinatown, we made our way a few more blocks to Little Italy where we stopped for lunch at one of our favorite restaurants--Puglia's.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me, so the photos are from my daughter's IPhone.  We also didn't take any photos of the food which was delicious!
After lunch, we visited another iconic location in Little Italy, Ferrara Bakery.  All you need do is click on this link and you will surely gain 10 pounds just by looking!  Here is what we bought:
Don't worry...we had a plan to walk it off.  Our next destination was the Brooklyn Bridge.  Since the day was so pleasant, and neither our daughter nor I had ever walked across it, that is what we set out to do.
In this photo, you can see the walking lane is actually to the left and well protected from the driving lanes.  The walking lane is divided roughly in half, the extreme left being a bike lane.
Here we are, my husband, Dennis and I, and a very important bottle of water; although I would have rather enjoyed the pastries with a good cup of tea!  The Bridge spans the East River, linking the two boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Built in 1883, it is 5,988' (1,825 m) long--so a bit more than one mile each way.
The views were just gorgeous.  This is looking towards Manhattan.
This is a beautiful view of the Empire State Building, and looking in the opposite direction,
The Statue of Liberty, a gift from the people of France in 1886.  And finally, looking back towards Manhattan, the tallest structure with the large antenna on top is
the new World Trade Center.  It stands at a symbolic 1776 feet, including the antenna.

I'm linking up with Bluebeard and Elizabeth's Tea Stands For Tuesday.  Thanks if you stuck it out to the end of this long post!  Stop by and see what everyone else is up to and join in if you are inclined!






15 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Debbie, the memories I have from that bridge. I walked that bridge also, lugging two SLR cameras, a camera bag, and a tri-pod with me. It was quite a walk, too. I also walked all over Manhattan when I was there the first time, as walking was fun back then.

visited Chinatown, but didn't know about Little Italy. You are right about getting fat just looking at those gorgeous pastries. They are certainly tea (or in my case, coffee) worthy.

Thank you for yet one more trip down memory lane, and a few new experiences I got to enjoy. AND, it was great to "meet" you, too.

Willow said...

First YUM those goodies DO look so good.
That must have been a spectacular walk across the bridge.
Thanks for the share.

Denise Price said...

Thanks for the GREAT tour of New York. What a fabulous trip. Those pastries look heavenly, especially the napoleons (a personal favorite). Happy T Day!

Magic Love Crow said...

Ok, I think I gained at least 20 pounds! I love napoleons! My mom's favorite too! What a beautiful day you had!! Wow, amazing pictures! You and your hubby are so cute!!! Thanks for sharing Deb! Loved everything!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos, loved the views of Brooklyn Bridge especially, as I stayed in Brooklyn for a time back in the wild sixties! Glad you had such a great day out! I'm NOT going to look at those pastries, though - or perhaps just q quick peek? Hugs, Valerie

AntiquityTravelers said...

YUM! What a fun day! Happy Birthday! I just did the High Line yesterday. You'll have to come back and try that one too!

see you there! said...

It looks like you had a great time (and great weather) in NYC. Walking the bridge is a great way to see the City.

Darla

~*~Patty S said...

Your post is fabulous...
I enjoyed it every step of the way...
Thank you for sharing what looks like a really special and enjoyable time!
Happy October!
oxo

Divers and Sundry said...

i enjoy getting to visit great places via other folks travels :) thx!

Halle said...

Gorgeous photos! I love the one showing Manhatten through the structural supports of the bridge! Awesome!
Fun to see a picture of you and hubby as well. :)
Happy Tuesday!

Dianne said...

Good for you, walking the Brooklyn bridge! Love the photos of the bridge and sky line...looks like it was a beautiful day...

Krisha said...

No place like SOHO for good food! I love NYC, and would love to go back one day. Your pictures bring back some good memories of the two trips I did make there.

dawn said...

WOW!! Happy Birthday!! What a great way to spend your day, love these pictures! My blog friend from Australia is in NYC right now for her first states visit and she is loving it. Hoping I can drive up to meet her next week!!

Thanks so much for giving us a little tour of New York, loved it!

Ariel said...

Beautiful view of the Empire State Building from the bridge. Those pastries look delicious.

Rita said...

What a beautiful day--good food, company, and scenery, too. :) Happy T-Day!