Friday, September 6, 2013

Summer-Beginning or End?

Normally by this time of year, all the flowers have finished blooming, whatever garden I've planted has yielded all it's vegetables, and with the warmer days and cool nights, plants and vines start to turn, well, brown!
Not this year!  We have virtually no flowers all summer, no cucumbers--in fact the vines hardly grew, but look:
This is where our peonies grow every year, except this one.  Since they didn't even come up, I threw in some marigold seeds just to fill the space.
This is the other part of that same flower bed--these tall spindly flowers are still coming up!
Here you can see nearly every pot and the planter bench are in full bloom.  That's the third set of blooms on the rose bush we planted in this big tub. You may be able to see the cucumber vines I just threw over the bench because they weren't growing much or producing all summer.
This is the second large cucumber--just picked this one tonight!  The vines, all two of them, are filled with growing cucumbers.
Lastly, the rose bush in the front is starting to bloom again.  Look close. Can you see the busy bumblebee in the center of the flower?

I think Mother Nature has herself a little confused, but I'll take the color and cukes for as long as they last!

Have a happy creative weekend everyone!




11 comments:

see you there! said...

It seems like it has been an unusual growing season for many people. We had tons of tomatoes and hardly any zucchini - backwards from normal. Enjoy your cukes!

Darla

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks good, those fresh cukes are making my mouth water! Here we have had 2 days of over 100° again, now it's raining with thunder and lightning....Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have no flowers in my front garden, but I have four or five VOLUNTEER tomato plants in a pot that are now beginning to produce a few tomatoes. Think it's time to take a picture!!

Love all the beauty coming from these pots and it was great to see the cuke, too. They are always so cool and refreshing in the summer heat. Seems mother nature has been caught in the global warming cycle this year.

Have a fun weekend, dear.

Regina said...

Mother Nature does seem to be a bit confuzzled this year..LOL!!

Love all the beautiful colors in the blooms....ENJOY!!!!

Hugs,
Regi

Willow said...

Hello and thank you so much for your visit to our little farm, so glad you stopped by!
I so agree it was an odd Summer growing season seems certain plants loved it and others that normally thrive did quite poorly, I did notice we had very few if any wild honey bees, but many bumble bees.... odd Summer indeed.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, this is fantastic! I wish I lived closer, I would be getting some of those cucumbers off of you! It has been a weird season for sure! Love the bumblebee! ( I will write to you this weekend!)
Big Hugs, Stacy

trisha too said...

Gorgeous! We still have tomatoes and melons setting on to grow, the weather has been so weird . . .

:)trisha

Flowermouse Design said...

Home grown cucumbers are the best!!!! The weather here is quite warm for the season - and I love it!!!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry, dear friend. I have not seen your comment about the boxes, but will be back to look once I get home this evening. Thanks in advance.

Denise said...

So glad I just found Your blog,through a mutual friend :) I'm Your newest follower.I'm off to browse Your blog :) I love any blog that is into Tea Time and crafts-YEAH- Denise ps Come on over and have a chat and a cup of tea.

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

I guess better late then never... it was such a weird season for growing. It seems like I either heard that it was the best ever (our farm share had their biggest hall ever and we were drowning in produce all summer) or like you everything just failed to thrive until the end of the season. If the cucs are still trying to grow despite these chilly nights, you could always try throwing a little season extender tent over them and try squeaking out a little bit more of summer. : )