Friday, September 20, 2013

Friesen Friday-Steampunk!

With the cooler weather, I have had a chance to break out the polymer clay again and continue along with the Friesen Project.  If you want more info on this, just click on the link in the right sidebar.  Briefly, the link will take you to Kater's Acres who facilitates working through Christi Friesen's Polymer Clay Series.  We are now on to Steampunkery!
This week's project is an elephant.  I used screws for his tusks, part of a toggle clasp for his monocle, some chain that I aged with a flame, and silver mica powder to make him look like metal.  I added the screw eye on top since I intend him to be a Christmas ornament.

Last week at a tag sale, I picked up some luscious  recycled silk yarn that was made in Africa.  I've been looking for something just like this to weave (loom) a bracelet.  Since I will not use much for that project, I'm trying to decide what else I could make.  The obvious, a scarf...style & pattern to be determined.  Any ideas?

Have a happy creative weekend everyone!


12 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

love your elephant! that is just so inventive and cool!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your steampunk elephant is just marvelous, what a gorgeous chap! The yarn is beautiful, too - would make a lovely scarf, or cap, or both? Hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design said...

Such a cute elephant Debbie!!!! I looked the gorgeous yarn up on Ravelry and found a lot of projects here: http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/mango-moon-bali-sky/projects

I like this scarf that shows the yarn of: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/lizzylr/drop-stitch-scarf

KatersAcres said...

Awesome elephant! I love his screw tusks!!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Your elephant rocks girl! So cool, especially as an ornament! Have fun with the yarn! It is beautiful! I can't wait to see all that you make! Hugs ;o)

see you there! said...

A very inventive elephant. Great tusks.

The yarn is beautiful. It would make a nice cowl. I can never think of much other than a scarf/cowl for one skein of yarn.

Darla

Willow said...

What a great elephant ornament !!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a great find on the yarn Gorgeous colors.

I hope you have a week as beautiful as you are!

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Ohhh love this elephant. Also great colors on the silk.
Nicole/Beadwright

Crystal said...

Oh he is awesome! Love the look of him. :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

For some reason, I missed this beauty. And that's strange, since I really LOVE steampunk. And this is a very unique steampunk elephant, too. It shows your unique style and your incredible ability to manipulate polymer clay. I like how you changed the color of the chain. That attention to detail is what makes your art so special.

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

That elephant is super adorable. I love the screws as tusks and the whole mechanical but still cute look you arrived at.