Monday, August 19, 2013

T Tuesday: Celebrations!

On Saturday, we celebrated two occasions in our family.  One I spoke of before--our 22nd Anniversary, and the other was our daughter's graduation from college.  As part of her present, she wanted to go to a restaurant that we had taken her to since she was small.  My husband was born in The Bronx, which for anyone not familiar is a borough of New York City.  It was the place many Italians settled when they immigrated to the US, and my father-in-law continued to live there until he passed away in 1998.  We have made many trips to his old neighborhood since to visit Arthur Avenue which is often called, "The Real Little Italy".  I realize many who visit my blog today from Elizabeth's T Tuesday are not from the US, but I know that most cities all over the world have ethnic areas such as Chinatown or Little Italy or Little Tokyo, so I hope you are not too confused!

After spending some time shopping where we picked up homemade Ravioli from Borgatti's, fresh sweet dry sausage, provolone, and mozzarella from  Casa Della Mozzarella, fresh peaches from the market, and pastries from Egidio's,we spent a few more hours exploring The Bronx Zoo.  This part was a surprise from my romantic husband because it was where we spent our first (blind) date.
Flamingos are a favorite of mine. I just love how they were designed with their ankle joints halfway up their legs so it appears as if their knees are bending backwards.
This baboon spent his day right up against the window being amused by all the visitors oohing and ahhing over him.

I wanted to take this sweet baby giraffe home, but I didn't think we had enough trees on our property to keep him properly fed.

And now what you came to see:
I'm on the left with the Veal Valdestano and side order of pasta; my husband is on the right with the Linguine and fish.  My daughter took the photo for me and didn't quite get the glasses in...but our beverage for T Tuesday was water!  Of course, the food was enough for another whole dinner the next night...win! win!

Happy T Tuesday everyone and thanks for indulging me with this long post! Thanks Elizabeth for doing a wonderful job of hosting!





19 comments:

Bridget Larsen said...

Must be a week of celebrations, like in my family. Congratulations on your celebrations and that is some yummy food
Bridget #2

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE Italian food. Ask any vegetarian, and you'll hear they like most pastas, as do I. Your dishes look fantastic and the take-home items were incredible, too. I'm a BIG fan of ravioli.

How fun that your husband surprised you with a day at the Bronx Zoo. You are one lucky gal!

Thanks for joining with T today. The link is live if you need me to link you. Sounds like you are still out celebrating (grin).

dawn said...

Hello and Happy Anniversary!! What a wonderful day it was for you. I too would love that Giraffe in my yard, it's my favorite zoo animal. Italian food is one of my favorites also, everything here looks so good. We even had spaghetti tonight and it came out sooo good. How sweet that your daughter took the picture, love when kids help capture a moment.
Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Tuesday!

voodoo vixen said...

Happy Anniversary and congrats on your daughter's graduation too! Lovely food in your photo, you have made me hungry and it isn't lunchtime for another hour or so!! What a lovely way to spend the day, good food, good company and seeing the animals!!

Nan G said...

The food looks scrumptious ! Cool pics of the zoo. Have a lovely T day. Nan

Krisha said...

Congrats on the anniversary! I've made it to NYC a couple of times and just adored all the diversified foods in such a small area. In fact I love NYC and hope o get back to the east coast again someday.
Great zoo pictures, love the baboon!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos! I know the Bronx a bit, I stayed in Brooklyn for 6 months when I was at school, and fell in love with NY! Your food looks great! Hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design said...

First of all: Congratulations on your anniversary and your daughters graduation!!! And what a lovely trip in wonderful food - I got hungry!! Thank you for sharing - I loved this post!!

Maudieroff Roffey said...

What lovely zoo photos - haven't been to a zoo for years - and such gorgeous weather too... mmmm pasta!!! Happy T 4 Tuesday... Mxx

~*~Patty S said...

Happy Anniversary and congrats on your daughter's graduation too ... looks and sounds like some special memories were made...you had me at fresh pasta, pastries and fruit :)
Happy T Day to you
oxo

Divers and Sundry said...

happy anniversary, and congrats to your daughter. that looks like a beautiful zoo :) i didn't even notice the absence of the beverage, because i was oooing and ahhhing over the food :)

see you there! said...

Happy Anniversary, cute that the zoo trip was included. Congratulations to your daughter. I must say I wish I had been food shopping with you, sounds like special places were visited.

Darla

Halle said...

Looks like you had a wonderful anniversary. Congrats!
I love flamingos too! Always a highlight of our zoo for me.
Happy Tuesday!

Spyder said...

Well that all looks very yummy!!!

(lyn))

Rita said...

I love-love-love pasta! Love zoos--blind dates that work out--and graduations! Great post! Missing the water glasses--well, she didn't know. ;)

Dianne said...

what a treat to visit the zoo with you...fun photos and the Italian food looks delicious!

Magic Love Crow said...

A very special day ;o) Two very special celebrations ;o) I love the zoo pictures! Very romantic going there! First blind date! So cute!! Now to comment about the food! OMG!! I am soooooooooo hungry! Seriously! LOL! Big Hugs and I am so happy you had a great day!!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Congrats to you and your daughter! Looks like you had quite the feast to celebrate! And what fun zoo photos!

Gloria said...

Your purchases sound sooooo good. Now I need to go make some pasta! I had a date with a Brooklyn boy at the Bronx Zoo, two boroughs and the same zoo!

Hope all your moving in days are safe and productive, enjoy the rest of the summer, too.