Tuesday, July 16, 2013

T is for Tueday!

Welcome to "T is for Tuesday" as hosted by Elizabeth (& I suspect, Bluebeard, too) of Altered Book Lover. For all the info, please visit her post here. This Tuesday, my drink of choice is a nice cold glass of Green Tea since it is still very humid & hot here in New York. Never too hot for crafting though, so I will also show off my latest polymer clay project.
Since January I have been working my way through the polymer clay sculpture series books of Christi Friesen by taking part in an event led by Kater's Acres. You can click on the button on the right for more information on this. We have been working on one book a month, and so far it is a blast! I love to do a variety of crafts, but my main focus has been making beaded flowers. I enjoy polymer clay, making art cards, painting, other forms of beading, gourd art, etc. You may recall our host, Elizabeth, very generously taught a free series of classes on altering books which had become another obsession of mine! But for now, let's stick to the polymer clay piece. Here is a closer photo:
The current book we are working with is Christi Friesen's "Birds of a Feather".  This time I ventured out on my own as this was not one of the birds that Kater's Acres chose to feature (yet!), but who can resist an adorable parrot? Parrots come in so many colors, it is hard to go wrong no matter what combination you pick. I'm a lover of vivid color and mine, I hope, reflects this!

After I carefully removed the cover from the paper and spiral binding, I built up the clay and baked it right on the cover. It was an experiment as I have a larger journal that I want to cover but wanted to see how it would turn out first. It seems pretty sturdy, so I will be interested to see how it holds up to use before I do the larger journal cover.

Thank you to Elizabeth for hosting what I predict will be a lot of fun for anyone who joins in. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post, and I look forward to visiting everyone!


17 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my that parrot is just a bright and cheery as it could be! I am uber impressed that you managed to bake it on the cover - without burning the cover! I look forward to seeing more of your clay critters!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thank you beyond belief for joining me for T today. Like Annette, I am also impressed with the way you baked this cheerful parrot on the cover. You are the Queen of polymer clay. I dabble in it, but my hands don't seem to do what my mind envisions. Again, welcome.

~*~Patty S said...

Thanks to Elizabeth for making it easier to connect with her Mr Linky.

We are roasting in the sauna here in N Virginia too...thank goodness for A/C!

Your bird and page are very special and beautiful...altered books have been a favorite thing of mine for many years too...so many possibilities!

Happy Tuesday
oxo

Jenny Woolf said...

Parrots are among my favourite birds, so I specially liked this.

Marianne said...

Your poly clay bird is awesome !
I played with polymer clay a few years ago....made a few things....but nothing as nice as this. The colors are perfect for a hot tropical-like day . Hazy Hot and Humid here in the DC area too.

see you there! said...

That is a great clay parrot and I am delighted that the baking worked for you.

Glad to see you joined the "T" brigade - I did too.

Darla

Krisha said...

Awesome clay creation!!

Silvia said...

The Parrot is so cheery I can't believe is made from clay. and a nice cold drink....mmmm

Magic Love Crow said...

Beautiful creation Deb!! Love the bright colors! Well done ;o)

Halle said...

Wow! your polymer clay skills are fantastic!! Lovely little book. I enjoy iced green tea as well. Gotta have my morning coffee though. :)

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Your parrot is fabulous, Debbie! I love all those bright colors you used. Cold green tea sounds so good. It's still horribly hot and humid here, too. I cannot wait for fall, let me tell you! :)

IrelandBrady said...

WOW! How wonderfully impressive! I love the cover ... hope it holds up so we can see more of your stunning book covers in the future! Wow!

Maudieroff Roffey said...

Oh yeah - agree with everyone your sculptures are fabulous - and T or Tuesday will be too... Mxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, great drink and a wonderful bird book. Love how you have made that bird, soooooo pretty! Hugs, Valerie

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Debbie this is so cleaver. I really like this bird.
Nicole/Beadwright

Kelly said...

Great piece of art! Thanks for sharing!
Creative Blessings! Kelly

KatersAcres said...

I'm so glad you've joined us! I love your parrot journal. I did just release a parrot tutorial on my blog this week. BUT ... yours is FAR more colorful!