Friday, July 26, 2013

More With Four

This month for Gloria's More With Four or art Inspired by (nice) Four-letter words, I wanted to try a technique that I had seen floating around in many places on the web. It is a way to make a FAUX stained glass look on paper using GLUE. Unfortunately, things don't always work out as we plan--this project is definitely NOT Pinterest worthy!
Here is my first attempt:
I added some black paint to regular white glue and traced over the design I had penciled onto an ACEO blank.  It came out rather gloppy (Is that a word?) and thick,  but I thought looked better after I painted it with some watercolors.  The ROSE and LEAF looked pretty good in two tone color.
Here is the second attempt:
This time I wrapped a piece of cellophane tape around the nozzle of the glue bottle in an attempt to get smoother, thinner lines.  It didn't quite work. Of course, the drawing is pretty bad, too. I'll probably title it "Lollipop Rose" or something like that, although I think these are both destined for the scrap pile.

After both tries, I decided I actually liked the first one better.  I think the problem (besides me) was that the glue was too thin and runny.  I would use a thicker bodied glue if I ever tried this again.  It does work perfectly in keeping the watercolor paint inside the lines.

Has anyone out there ever tried this technique and have any wisdom to share?

Have a happy creative weekend everyone, and stop by New End Studio and see the other art inspired by four letter words.

8 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the effect you have achieved, must give it a try! Hugs, Valerie

Magic Love Crow said...

Don't throw them out!! I think they are cool Deb! Seriously ;o) Well done ;o) I love the technique! Hugs ;o)

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

I really like these Deb. Great job. Rose and Leaf also very fine 4 letter words.
Nicole/Beadwright

Gloria said...

I've never tried this technique, but I will since you showed us. For first efforts they are pretty and pretty darn good. I like the stained glass look!

Thanks for linking up and mentioning More with Four!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

PLEASE don't scrap these. If I could draw even 1/50th as well as you, I'd be happy. You are way too hard on yourself. These are stunning. And both roses look like they could be stained glass.

I've not tried this technique, but it looks like something I have all the tools for. Now I just need a simple (possibly geometric) pattern.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I like the first one too. But I am wondering if it is because I like the color palette better? Both techniques look pretty good.

Have a wonderfully lovely day!

see you there! said...

Stained glass was my first thought. I like both and will have to try the technique.

Darla

IrelandBrady said...

The black glu reminds me of some fabric paint I used many moons ago ... where you would cut out a floral pattern glue it to a shirt and then go over the cut edges with a thickish type fabric paint.