Monday, July 8, 2013

Friesen Project-Owl

Hi Everyone! Hope you all had a nice weekend. We are still experiencing unusually high temperatures and humidity, although if you ask anyone in the western part of the US, they will think it is a cold wave after some of their recent 100-117 degree temperatures!

I made an owl for the Christi Friesen inspired Friesen Project. Even with air conditioning, the heat made the clay softer than normal--great for easy conditioning, but a little challenging for sculpting. The look I was going for was a totem wood-look owl.
I'm pretty happy with the way he turned out.  His eyes look a little bugged out--probably should have made deeper sockets, LOL!  I used two different colors of brown to add some antiquing dimension. I think he will make a nice Christmas ornament.

Hoping to get a few more finished this week

11 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

he is very cute! love this guy

Flowermouse Design said...

He is so adorable Debbie!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

He is totally gorgeous! Valerie

IrelandBrady said...

He is beautiful and will make for an awesome christmas ornament or even a wall hanging!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, love this owl! Great creation! He does have a Native feel to him! His eyes are cute! ;o)Something just scared him! LOL! I can't wait to see more! Our temperatures are really high too! We are getting heavy, very heavy rains right now! The one side of the house, where the water proofing isn't done, we are getting water in the basement! Uggg!! But, guess what? The other side is finished! Yepee! Big Hugs ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Actually, I think his eyes are perfect. I love the look you gave him. And he has a definite wood grain feel/look about him, too.

Hot and dry here this week. Lots of grass fires in the wheat fields, too. Hope it cools a bit for you. Isn't AC a lifesaver? I can't imagine living without it.

see you there! said...

I like owls and I think yours does have a wooden/totem look. Great work.

Darla

Bluebell Woods said...

Love the owl fantastic, Wish I could get into making stuff again, Some day maybe......I love his eyes. Owls always have buggy eyes and look shocked. They always look like someone trod on their toe while sleeping
Janice

Melissa said...

He is adorable! Great work on him.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh WOW!!!!! I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this little owl!!! :) GREAT job, Debbie!

KatersAcres said...

Great job on your owl! I love him!