Friday, May 3, 2013

A Lion That Started With A Bead

A beautiful amber bead that was gifted to me by my good friend, Stacy. In case you don't know Stacy, hop over to her blog, MagicLoveCrow and you will quickly discover one of the most upbeat, kindest souls in blogland. You will also discover she is a talented painter with a passion for crows, and she sells her art on Etsy. So, back to the bead!

The Friesen Project wraps up April with one more project from Christi's Cats book. This week Katie created a wonderful tutorial to make a trinket box which you can read about here.
I decided to make mine a hanging sculpture.

Since some amber can darken when subjected to heat, I decided the best course was to add the bead in a dangle after the piece was finished. Better safe than sorry! Stacy's bead is the round one in between two ?amber beads that I believe are from Germany & were given to me by my Mom. I did antique this piece with brown paint & added a satin protective coat.

I'm still beading away on the fern leaves, and figured I should clean the house before I had to set more places at the dinner table for the dust bunnies!

Have a happy creative weekend everyone!



11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, this is totally fantastic. How great to have real amber beads on it, too! Just gorgeous! Hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design said...

I love it. And the beads are just perfect for it - love that Stacys bead also is a part of the piece. Have a lovely weekend!!!

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh that is just very, very cool! and amber beads from your mom - double cool

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That was a wise move to not put that amber bead in the oven. You are a genius when it comes to clay, too. I am always impressed with your clay challenges.

Those ferns must take up a bunch of your time. I think the dust bunnies would be happy to be invited to dinner (grin).

Have a super weekend, dear.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, you've touched my heart! I am smiling! To have my bead, with your mom's is so special! And, your kind words about me, are too kind! LOL! I really, really, LOVE your lion! And, I am not just saying that!!! He is magnificent! Big Hugs ;o)

Magic Love Crow said...

By the way, dust bunnies are friendly ;o) I invite them to dinner all the time! LOL!

Melissa said...

He is sweet - how lovely to get to work with amber...

Gloria said...

Such a fab face and mane, plus all that personality in your lion. The amber beads from Stacy and your mom make it more special. ♥ Congrats on the big cat!

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

That is awesome! I love the amber beads dangling. :-) I have one piece of amber in a necklace with an insect inside and I treasure it!

IrelandBrady said...

Fantastic! The amber beads are the perfect addition to this little sculpture!

see you there! said...

Great piece, I agree with other comments, the amber beads are the perfect accent.

Darla