Friday, April 5, 2013

Something Fishy!

Well, as another month draws to a close and The Friesen Project gets ready to move onto the next book...I present one more little project. If I sound off a week, I am! Normally, Kater's Acres who by now you should all know is hosting this project (click on the right sidebar for more info)reviews a Christi Friesen book the first Friday of each month & presents mini tutorials on the 2nd thru 4th Fridays. I attempt the project & show it off a week later, hence the week behind. This week Katie provided a great pdf to make a sea-themed journal cover. Not having a use for this right now, I decided I'd do something else. But, what???

First, let me tell you how I am off by a month...remember my mindset is that this is the last project that was actually explored last Friday (March 29) so I'm thinking it is the end of March, not the beginning of April. Still with me? Good!

I paid a visit to my friend, Gloria's, blog, New End Studio and saw her post about a monthly challenge using a (nice) four-letter word as artistic inspiration, than posting on the last Friday of the month. Catching on yet?

The four letter word that inspired me was "read"--something I do everyday...while walking on the treadmill, while eating lunch, sometimes at night in front of TV, and sometimes even while working of a project I have been known to listen to a book on CD! While flipping through Christi's Under The Sea book, I came across a perfect project that fulfilled the last week of that book's exploration and Gloria's challenge. Only to find that Gloria's first challenge is actually April 26 the last Friday of this month!

I don't think I have been getting enough sleep, LOL! Without further ado and with apologies to Gloria for "jumping the gun" (I just got so excited!) here is my four letter word inspired/Under The Sea 4th project:

I created bookmarks out of a thin sheet of clay, embossed a fish & some coral, outlined them in black permanent marker & then added lots of pearl-ex power for color. The really nice thing about this clay is that thin sheets stay rather flexible--not that I would recommend bending them, however. So why did I make two? One for me...and one for you!

If you would like to win the book mark on the right with the pink & turquoise ribbons trimmed with sea shells & beads, just leave a comment below. I will draw the winning name next Thursday, April 11.

Have a happy, creative weekend everyone!








14 comments:

craftattack said...

Your work is beautiful, as always, even if you jumped the gun! How do you get the clay so thin - is it rolled out like pastry? And what is pearl-ex powder? Something like perfect pearls? Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie
I often listen to cd-books before I fall asleep - lovely!

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Deb ;o) Are you sure you are drawing the name on thursday April 11th? LOL! I do think you need more sleep! But, you know, so do I! I can't believe it's friday, I thought it was wednesday! Your bookmark is adorable! Well done! I would love to win it! Craftattack asked some good questions! I think you should answer them ;o) I don't think Gloria will mind you started ahead of everyone else. Maybe you can do another word for April ;o) Ok, this is turning into a book! I need to go to bed! I will e-mail by sunday, promise ;o) Hugs ;o)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Craftattack:I used a clay only pasta machine to get the clay so thin. It is harder, but you can roll it out also, but never use items used with clay with food afterwards! Pearl-ex is a brand name....they are mica powders that you can apply before baking the clay.

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

These bookmarks are so pretty...neat how you did it. :-)

Gloria said...

I don't mind, your bookmark is beautiful! Don't forget to link it up on the 26th. I have to get going on my stuff now!

see you there! said...

I admit I got lost figuring out what project your are doing for what day. Heck, I have a hard time remembering what day it is when I wake up, LOL!

I like the bookmark a lot though and want to toss my name in for the drawing.

Darla

Dawn said...

These are stunning Debbie, lol would never have thought of using clay for a bookmark but it sure works well in your expert hands sweetie. The fish are gorgeous and I love your colours.
Thank-you for your kind visit too.
Huge hugs x

Sunshineshelle said...

Love the bookmarks, who cares if they don't mark 'time' as well LOL you know I can't stand going on the treadmill and just walking, lately I either play online Texas Poker or watch art program's or something and it's the only thing that makes the exercise seem like less of a chore!! Can't read because my IPod is a little small for that, hey maybe I could get an IPad and catch up on the blogs I'm so behind on! I've been browsing here and looks like you have been busy creating, well done, and frankly I never know what day it is either :) maybe we should start a group, 'time-challenged bloggers united'!!

Sunshineshelle said...

Or maybe I should get a big book and bookmark ;)

Sunshineshelle said...

...and a watch!

Kim Dellow said...

Oo that is so clever! Kim

Faerie Moon Creations said...

How adorable! Sorry I missed your lovely giveaway, as I was still nursing my cold. :) Congrats to your lucky winner! What a fun way to keep place in your favorite book. :)

Linda Bouffard said...

Very sweet! Have a great weekend. Linda

Terry said...

Oh wow, those are so pretty. I can't believe they're clay - brilliant.