Friday, April 12, 2013

It's Almost Time

For those of you who have been reading my blog for a long time...do you remember me talking about how my one and only was going off to college and how hard I thought it was going to be without her? Well, can you believe she is now graduating?!!! We could not be more proud of her accomplishments. Her degree will be a BA in Psychology with a double major in English--which she completed in three years. I wanted to make her something special as part of her graduation gift, so I beaded her up some flowers. Her favorite flower is a Poppy. I found some vintage Venetian seed beads that were manufactured in Murano, Italy between the late 1800s & 1920. I know they will have meaning for her since we visited a Murano Glass Factory when we were in Venice some years ago.

There are actually two colors of poppy red/orange, one a little darker than the other, but I don't think you can see this in the photo. The black beads are vintage also, probably over 75 years old and came from a family friend whose mother beaded wedding gowns for a living. She even beaded a pair of slippers for Madame Chiang Kai-Shek. I purchased some vintage green beads but have not decided whether to add leaves or not. I'll wait until after we give her the flowers and see what she thinks. I'm planning to buy some fresh flowers, maybe white carnations, to add to the bouquet.

Have a happy, creative weekend everyone!



16 comments:

Flowermouse Design said...

Oh, Debbie. What a wonderful bouquet. And so special with those vintage beads. I did not know they were available at all. I salute your daughter - and you for bringing up such an accomplished woman. Congratulations to you both!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

This really is something beautiful, your daughter will surely love these wonderful flowers with the antique beads. Congrats on her marvelous degree, too! Hugs, Valerie

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh that is just beautiful! with so much meaning for her!! what a thoughtful gift this is

see you there! said...

Such beautiful work, I'll bet she will treasure your gift.

Darla

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow Deb!! Truly breathe taking! I love that you used vintage beads and the meanings behind them, Venice ;o) Christie is going to love these flowers and cherish them forever!! I can't believe she is graduating already! Time does go by fast!! Fresh white carnations with these would be a stunning arrangement ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

Dawn said...

This is gorgeous Debbie, you can see the love and pride that has gone into it. Fab job sweetie and I'm sure she will love it.
Huge hugs x

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Yep I remember when she went off to college. Congratulations to her for accomplishing so much. The flowers are beautiful and I know she will love them.
Nicole/Beadwright

Regina said...

Debbie..where has the time gone to? I do remember when she first left for school and remember all the times you were so excited she was coming home for visits. ^_^ Congrats to the grad and you should be proud of her!!

The flowers are beautiful and something that she will be able to cherish for a very long time.

Hugs,
Regi

Melissa said...

What a beautiful and meaningful gift for your daughter!! So much history and love.

Congratulations to your daughter!!

IrelandBrady said...

Oh Debbie, your poppies are just stunning! What a beautiful gift you have made for your daughter ... she'll cherish them forever ...

cristinacofaru said...

A beautiful spring, with health, many smiles of happiness and the most beautiful rays of hope from Romania!
http://cristinacofaru.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/7-lucruri-despre-mine

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

Wow the beaded flowers are awesome! My daughter is graduating this year too...major in history. I am planning on making something special for her too! Congrats to her and you. :-)

Gloria said...

Time is truly flying by. Congrats to your daughter and to her proud parents!

The flowers are fabulous and the vintage beads and story make this all the more special. She is going to treasure this bouquet.

Happy Graduation ♥

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Congratulations go to your daughter. This is a great accomplishment. Does she plan to get her Ph.D. in Psychology?

Your bouquet is gorgeous. I'm sure she will appreciate these beautiful beaded flowers.

Thanks for dropping by my blog as often as you do. I am most appreciative, although I haven't had a whole lot of time to show it lately.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Big congrats to your daughter! What an achievement! :) I am sure she will love these poppies. They are so beautiful!

poppylocke said...

Wow, these are so lovely!