Friday, February 15, 2013

Welcome to The Jungle!

This month the Friesen Project, hosted by Kater's Acres, is focusing on Christi Friesen's second book in her series, Welcome to the Jungle! You can click on the button on my right sidebar to get all the information.

Our first task was to make leaves--lots of leaves in many shapes and sizes. I thoroughly enjoyed and lost myself in this project. I made no less than 50 teeny tiny leaves that could later be strung on wire and added to a project. Then I started making the larger, more awesome leaves! After making all these leaves, we had to have something to do with them. So here is the first project, a mirror:


I was glad I had a mirror on hand to use. It was a little small and so as not to crowd it too much, I added just one or sometimes two of a kind of leaf. The mirror is encased in clay and then all the leaves and embellishments were added. After curing, I added the beaded holder--see some of those teeny tiny leavesI mentioned? I can't wait to begin on the next project!

Have a happy, creative weekend everyone!

16 comments:

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Wow Deb!!! This is awesome! I really do like anything "jungle"
This is great
Nicole/Beadwright

Flowermouse Design said...

Cool!! And a lot of work with those leaves. Such fun to see your work in that project!! What clay brand do you use???

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Lone, I emailed you, but I will respond here in case anyone else was wondering...I use Premo most of the time, but I have started mixing Premo and Sculpey III.

craftattack said...

This is really wonderful, you must have needed hours to make all those leaves, and the beading gives it a great finishing touch! Hugs, Valerie

IrelandBrady said...

This is terrific Debbie, love your creativity and imagination! Each of your leaves are so delightful and charming ... hmmm, is the leaf in the lower right hand corner a hemp leaf?

"The Jungle" is a great name for this little masterpiece.

Well done!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

LOL, Karen Anne..it certainly does resemble one. I didn't design the leaves, but did want to try making at least one of each.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a great mirror! Tremendous amount of work!

Gloria said...

This is beautiful, love the colors and your variety of details! Something that is beautiful and useful is a wonderful outcome!

Have a great weekend, too. We are being snowed upon, roll on Spring...

Sunshineshelle said...

I think looking into this mirror you would be transported at least in your mind, to feeling like you were in the depths of an African jungle ready to go on a (photo) shooting safari or at least get up close and personal with Tarzan ;) brilliant results Deb, just awesome!

Magic Love Crow said...

I agree with Karen Anne, it is a hemp leaf! LOL! Hmmmm..how come Karen Anne spotted that so quickly? LOL! Deb, you truly rocked this!! Seriously!! This is wicked!! Well done!

Melissa said...

I'm looking for a little frog to sit on all those leaves...

see you there! said...

What fun it must be to look at yourself in the mirror surrounded by the leafy jungle. Great work.

Darla

KatersAcres said...

Awesome mirror Debbie!

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

Looks like your are having so much fun! Awesome. :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When I first saw the mirror, I thought it was a purse. Such is the magic trickery of photography. All those leaves are splendid and all so different and unique. This will continue to be a splendid project!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Very cool! I, too, thought it was a purse at first. Love all those leaves!