Monday, February 25, 2013

Gambling on Ten Fingers

I have a love/hate, but mostly hate relationship with my current food processor. Since I make a lot of soup during the winter, I love that it makes chopping carrots, celery & onions effortless and quick. What I hate is that a few years after I got it the top dial which controls on/off and the speeds froze--in the on position. This means that every time I want to use it I have to plug and unplug it and use it only at top speed. For more years than I want to admit, I have been using it in this decrepit condition. I am always careful to keep it unplugged when changing blades or emptying the container. Just lately, I have been thinking about "the law of averages" and gambling. I'm not much of a gambler so I decided that before something dire happens I better get a new one. Since I don't use this appliance everyday, I didn't need top of the line. I found one that I could be happy with and would let me keep my precious ten fingers. The point of this post is not a commercial for food processors, but to show you what I made to cover it:

First I would like to thank Maria Elkins for posting a tutorial for a mixer that I was able to adapt to the size I needed.

I pulled some fabrics from my stash that complimented the tiled back wall which my husband & I designed when we moved into the house. I made the finished cover a little bigger than necessary because I like to store the book and extra blades in a plastic bag with the machine--out of sight, but handy! The only thing I purchased to make this was a package of batting (which I will also use for future projects) and the double fold bias tape to finish off the bottom edge. I have enough tape left over for the second cover I plan to make for our expresso machine!

9 comments:

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

I also use my food processor a lot. The cover you made for yours is awesome. Makes things look nicer.
Nicole/Beadwright

see you there! said...

Nice cover. Our food processor lives in the pantry so I don't bother covering it but if I did then I'd like a cover like yours.

Darla

craftattack said...

Great idea! My mixer looks so ugly, perhaps I will try one of these too! Hugs, Valerie
PS Look after those fingers!

Lisa Criswell said...

I like your cover. I could use one of those for my blender that I rarely use.

IrelandBrady said...

Love your food processor cover, well done Debbie!

Tyler Thursby said...

This is a pretty cool container thingy! There some place I can purchase one of these guys? Love your site, check out my budget travel blog if you get a chance :)

Melissa said...

What a brilliant stash bust...

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, first I have to say, I love your kitchen tiles!! I love the color combination! Now, I have to say, I love your cover!!! You are so much fun! I think mom might try to copy you! LOL! Hugs ;o) Will try to e-mail tomorrow! Been busy! And, another big storm is coming!! Uggg!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

What a lovely cover! Great way to add a little decor to the kitchen while covering up your appliances!