Friday, January 25, 2013

Meet Torch!

The second project in Kater's Acres Project Friesen is to create a second, different dragon with arms and/or legs. Meet Torch!
Until now, I have never made an effective skinner blend...to non-clayers, briefly, it is a method to blend clay seamlessly from one color to the next. I did not do it in the traditional way--it just happened on its own, and so, I decided to keep it for the body even if most of it would be covered up with swirly goodness! Most of the swirls were made out of blended pieces.
The wings, ears, arms & legs were made with different combinations of the colors I was using. Torch is holding a beveled glass rectangle in her arms which I was so intent on anchoring that I didn't see the tiny cut in the arm until she was baked. I think I could have done more refining and smoothing of the digits, but overall I am pleased with my second effort.

Have a happy, creative weekend everyone!

15 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

WOW what an intricate piece! and so fun!

Dawn said...

Awe Debbie she is beautiful, what a clever lady you are.
Huge hugs x

Flowermouse Design said...

So cute - and Friesen is such an inspiration!!!!

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Great job Debbie!!! The blends looks fantastic.
Nicole/Beadwright

see you there! said...

Looks complicated and marvelous to me. I enlarged the photo to see the glass. Very nice!

Darla

craftattack said...

This is totally cool, I am really loving your dragons! Hugs, Valerie

Lori said...

Very cool Deb! And for the record I struggle with a really good skinner blend too.. It depends on the day.. or how I hold my tongue at the time or the weather..LOL!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I love her! Tiny cut and all ;o) What are you doing with her??? ;o) Please let me know ;o) Hugs ;o)

Gloria said...

I enlarged this piece so I could really "see" it well. It is so beautiful and intricate with all the small pieces you added for design and dimension! The eye the little buttons the crystal! These are really wonderful, and the swirl with the mix of colors, too!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

The cutest dragon ever!

KatersAcres said...

Very nice Debbie! I'm so glad you've joined in on the Friesen Project!!!

lorik said...

These are fantastic! I love the fantasy and the colour -and the design!

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

So cute! :-)

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Absolutely adorable! You did a great job!

Mina said...

Torch is adorable!!! You do such wonderful work on these dragons. Hugs sweetie, Mina