Friday, January 11, 2013

IA Challenge-Poppies

Poppies are the subject this week at Inspiration Avenue, and we could show them in any way we wish. While I would have liked to have beaded one...a custom order is keeping my beading fingers busy--I may still bead one, soon. In the meantime, I chose to share some Poppy photos taken by my daughter on her trip to England last summer.
Here are some "unpopped" Poppies! Isn't it interesting that something so plain and alien-looking opens into such a beautiful flower?
Here is a mixed shot of buds and opened flowers.
Did you know poppy seeds that we put on bagels or in cakes are mainly imported from Holland? Did you know that after eating just one bagel, they can cause a false positive urine test for up to 48 hours?
Of course, Poppies are used with legal license for medicinal purposes because of their pain-killing and sedative qualities. No wonder Dorothy, Toto & the Cowardly fell asleep in the Poppy field!

Have a happy creative weekend everyone!


13 comments:

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Yes I did know all of that about poppies. LOL

The shots are so pretty. Thanks for sharing. I know when you have time to bead them they will be beautiful.
Nicole/Beadwright

AntiquityTravelers said...

LOVE poppies! one of my favorite flowers - they are so happy!! I did know that about poppies. My brother loves bagels, but will never eat a poppy seed one as they test regularly for drugs at the plant where he works! and more than once someone was caught off guard because they had a bagel for breakfast!!

see you there! said...

The unopened buds do look alien. Oh please do bead some poppies when you have time - I can imagine how beautiful they would be.

Darla

craftattack said...

Beautiful photos! Now I know why I love poppy seed bread! Hugs, Valerie

Melissa said...

poppies are among the elusive beauties - always pretty and yet it is hard to pin down why...

New End Studio said...

Pretty garden photos :)
I did know about the poppy seed affect. Opium comes from poppies, it was once used medicinally, but now, well, drug addicts, money, and wars over the trade.
Your beaded poppies will be gorgeous.

Flowermouse Design said...

Oh, that bagel thing was new to me. But, the flowers are amazingly beautiful. And I have seen a lot of great knitting patterns with them that really makes me smile. Thank you for sharing the photos. And it seems like a good thing that you have a lot of orders to make ready??

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, thanks for all the information! Very interesting! I never knew these facts! I love poppies ;o) Can't wait to see you bead them ;o) Love your daughter's photos ;o) Hugs ;o)

Lou Anne said...

I enjoyed your daughter's photos and the poppy facts.

Nancy McCarroll said...

I have never seen poppies that were in seed like you showed in the field. Wonderful.

Thank you for sharing in IA this week!

Mina said...

These are truly beautiful photographs! I had no idea that eating one poppy seed bagel could give a false urinary tract infection reading. The world of nature is a fascinating one indeed. Warmest hugs, Mina

Faerie Moon Creations said...

How fun! I love poppies - and when I saw your post, I immediately thought of the Wizard of Oz! :) I did know some of the facts - including the false drug testings. Interesting facts. Thanks for sharing such lovely photos!

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

Love poppies...they are so pretty and I love your interesting facts too! :-)