Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Judging a Book By Its Cover

The real joys in life are those that cannot be calculated by any known unit of measurement. --unknown

I wrapped up (pun intended!) my altered book this past weekend in between decorating the house. I decided to go with a fairly simple cover. I found the travel themed fabric on clearance in a craft store and used fusible web to iron it onto the book cover. Then, in keeping with my vow to refrain from buying any more supplies, I used these faux hanging typewriter keys that I won in a giveaway. My first choice of titles was "Footsteps", but since there were limited letters, I had to go with "My Travels".
The fabric has images of many places we have been, so I was happy with that. I threaded some purple ribbon through the key hangers, made little bows & hot glued them on. The cover doesn't have as much zing as I wanted it to, but for the first one, I am satisfied.

By now, you as well as the instructor, Elizabeth, know how much I enjoyed this course and how much I got out of it. I have to say once more a very heartfelt thank you to Elizabeth for her generosity and excellent tutorials! I might never have attempted this without her guidance and encouragement!

12 comments:

elle said...

A great finish. The typewriter keys are cute.

Flowermouse Design said...

That fabric is more than perfect - what could be more suitable. I love this - it sort of tell the story of the hole book!!! Great work with the book - all of it!!

craftattack said...

It looks really beautiful. You have persevered and made something to treasure for a long time! Hugs, Valerie

AntiquityTravelers said...

Really love the typewriter keys for this! What a great pattern!

Dawn said...

Awe Debbie, what a perfect way to finish your book, it really does the interior justice and fits your theme perfectly my lovely. Lol, love the typewriter keys, soooooo cute.
Huge hugs x x x x

Regina said...

Love the tpye writer keys!! An job very well done Debbie..very well done indeed!!

New End Studio said...

The fabric was a lucky find and suited your theme to a t. I've seen some art methods on E's blog which are new to me, interesting, and fun. Congrats on completing your book!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was not just thrilled to see the completion of your cover, but was also impressed with the way you finished your book keeping the theme in mind all the way. What a perfect ending to an awesome book. I suspect you will make several more, now that you have the basics (and a few advanced techniques) down.

Thank you again for being such a PERFECT student. You made this instructor proud!

Magic Love Crow said...

Bravo Deb!! Excellent work! You should feel very proud of yourself! I know I am very proud of you!! Big Hugs ;o)

BJ said...

Super cover and fabric too and ironed on as well fantastic. BJ

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once more, I wanted to thank you for this beauty I received from you. It's on my blog and it's MAGIC!!

see you there! said...

The fabric was waiting there for just for you and this project I think. I really like the way you "wrapped it up" so to speak.

Darla