Friday, November 2, 2012

IA Challenge Mandala

When the power was out during the recent storm, I had to find a way to be able to keep creating. The challenge at Inspiration Avenue hosted this week by Beth fit the bill perfectly!

I have never made a mandala before, and I have to say I enjoyed it totally! I started out with just a dot and built it up, round and round, until I achieved this:
I realize it is not totally even, but as Beth suggests, it is more of a meditative exercise. I tried not to over think the patterns--just enjoy and let it happen!

Since I did not have an unlimited water supply, I opted to color it in with my Prismacolor pencils. The weather was not cooperating and I had to use a flash which produced the glare on the left side.
This was a wonderful challenge that kept my mind calm and occupied during the storm without power. Thank you Beth!

Thanks again to everyone who worried about us during the storm. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who continue to suffer the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy. Stay tuned next week to see if we get the Nor'Easter that is being predicted for mid-week! No, I am not joking.

Have a happy, creative, and safe weekend everyone!

14 comments:

Yvonne said...

Gorgeous colours you have choosen!

see you there! said...

Great mandala, I like both the black and white and the colored versions.

Darla

IrelandBrady said...

Your Mandala is beautiful! What a great way to spend your time during a power outage!

Magpie said...

So glad you're alright after the storm! You really made great use of the forced downtime. This is beautiful...I love the design and the colors. I'm really liking the freehand and non-symmetrical mandalas I'm seeing.

LilliBean Designs said...

Your mandala is beautiful - you chose a lovely colour scheme. I hope you weather the next storm ok x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can finally leave messages to you. What a surprise and delight.

I can't seem to get into these drawing things, but I sure like how you created your mandala. Lovely, lovely.

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, this is stunning!!!!! There will be no more storms!!!!! Be safe my friend ;o)

Roxanne said...

This is gorgeous! Colors are so pretty. Glad to hear that you are ok from the hurricane. Yes I heard about the storm for next week and know you are not joking. I hope it just stays away!

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Love how your mandala came out- great job! Before the colors it reminded me a delicate snowflake but once you added color it looks like a vibrant flower.

New End Studio said...

I used to draw them when I was in school, yours is very pretty ♥

Glad you are recovering and did not know about the next storm, no, no, no it must not go up the coast- out to sea only!

Deb said...

I was thinking about you and your family through all of this

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

I'm so glad that you are past the worst of the storm. My relatives in New Jersey are still without power and having to drive to Pennsylvania for gas! Hope you don't get the new storm being predicted. :-)

Fallingladies said...

Beautiful mandala!

Lou Anne said...

Really lovely! I will remember your image if I lose power. I get so attached to digital work and I admire your handmade piece very much.