Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Memo Holder Tutorial

Thanks to Totally Tutorials I was lucky enough to be selected by Incomparable Buttons to receive a free set of their handmade handpainted buttons in exchange for posting a tutorial of what I did with them. After perusing page after page of beautiful buttons, how could I resist these?
I decided to make some clothes pin memo holders to put on the refrigerator.
Supplies I used:
Strip and stronger dot magnets, acrylic paint/paintbrush, clothes pins, assorted decorative fibers, strong glue such as E6000, scissors, and (not shown) sandpaper and craft or wood glue.

My first step was to measure the length & width of the top of the clothespin. Next I took the clothes pins apart, gave them a light sanding & painted them with the acrylic paint. Make sure you keep the matched pairs together--makes it much easier to reassemble later! If you plan to cover the top completely, you can leave it unpainted.

While you are waiting for the paint to dry, you can begin assembling your tops. Some options are:
craft foam, decopage sheets, scrapbook paper, cardstock, the list goes on and on. I wanted to do something dimensional; however, you may decide to just use a pretty scrapbook paper and perhaps ribbon or lace & attach your button on top. If you plan to make a dimensional one like I did, here are a couple of tips:
Attach whatever magnet you are using to the back before you start decorating the front.
Keep 3D embellishments towards the middle & bottom so it is easy to press open the memo holder.

For the one on the left, I drew a tree and cut it out of craft foam. If this is challenging to you, try to find a cookie cutter or wood shape to trace around. I added a decopage pine cone, a small piece of artificial greenery & a preserved pine cone from an craft pick. For this one, I sewed the button on & glued the tree onto the clothes pin with craft glue.

For the one on the right, I decorated a wooden tag with a piece of scrapbook paper, added greenery & a bottle brush tree. This moose was glued on with E6000 & after stamping a few words at the top I glued the tag to the clothes pin with wood glue.
Here's one more view with them all assembled!

I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial & will visit both Totally Tutorials to see all the neat tutorials they post, and Button Mad to see their fabulous selection of buttons!











11 comments:

Kokopelli said...

Those buttons are so much fun and Ilove what you did with them!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I love the buttons and I love what you made with them!!! I always say this, but you are so creative! So cute!!!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

How very clever and crafty you are! I always see cute buttons and now you have provided inspiration.

Cecilia said...

Those buttons are wonderful! :)
Cecilia

Lori said...

Oh wow-- those are adorable Deb.. You wouldnt like to have some Moose Buttons..Love what you made..

Lori said...

Mean to say "who" wouldnt like to have moose buttons.. I Know You would..LOL! I would..

New End Studio said...

Your moose tute is too cute ♥ The buttons are right up your alley and the finished pins are sweet. Great tips!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Awesome tutorial and very inventive. I haven't gotten my buttons yet. Now I'm getting worried, since you have already gotten yours AND finished your cool tutorial. Way to be on the ball, or clothes pin as the case may be!!

see you there! said...

Great that you got the free buttons because you figured out such cute ways to use them.

Darla

Lisa Criswell said...

very cute idea! i just have plain round magnets on my refrigerator. i need to get creative and dress them up. love those buttons!

Mina said...

Your tutorial is fantastic! These are so very adorable sweetie!