Monday, October 1, 2012

AB Lesson 16

Always remember that perseverance is the key to success.

Lesson 16 was to play with fabric! Elizabeth did a great job as usual writing a post that not only showed us how we can use fabric in our altered books, but she also demonstrated several ways to dye our own! She also showed a fun way to combine fabric with polymer clay. That got me to thinking...

Scotland...Loch Ness...Monster! So here's Nessie:
What I remember about Scotland is that it was filled with Castles of every description and was green, green, beautiful green! The castle on the lower left is Urquhart Castle, a medieval fortress that dates back to the 13th century and which sits on the bank of Loch Ness. So there are tons of castles at the top of the pages, and I'll just say a mea culpa to any UK readers...I know all these castles are not in Scotland and some are repeats, but I could not find enough pictures that were!

Obviously the Loch is fabric with the green head of Nessie poking through. I couldn't resist adding a few colorful polymer clay rocks that I made by smooshing the clay together.

A few people were interested to see what my book looks like now and wondered if it closes.
I am seeing how important the very first lesson of this course was--to pick a book that has a sewn binding. Any moment I expect to hear a sprong and have the whole thing just explode. I hope not!

Thanks for stopping by and for all your comments! The next lesson is posted, and I can't wait to play.

I'll be back a little later to announce my annual October sale, but it is already up in my shop !


12 comments:

BJ said...

Great use of fabric Debbie - I just couldn't get inspired with fabric despite sorting my fabric drawer. I love Nessie and certainly wouldn't know if the castles were Scottish or not. I think the page is great. Is that Dunrobyn Castle on the right, been there it is lovely. Great to see your book as a whole and "not closed" LOL. Mine is very similar too with the Christmas zip page making it gape the most. What a wonderful journey this has been. BJ

see you there! said...

What a great page. Elizabeth is inspiring isn't she. Hope your book holds together.

Darla

Lisa Criswell said...

excellent page. i hope the book's binding doesn't break apart and it stays nice and sturdy for you. that would be very sad after all that hard work. you're doing so well with all these ab lessons!

craftattack said...

I love to see and hold big, fat books that are bursting full of all manner of wonderful things. What you have made is just fantastic! Valerie

Flowermouse Design said...

I love this - and I have been to the Urquhart Castle. And saw Nessie - that would be the one on the museum there.... Very lovely page and just like Scotland is!!!! Well done. But the book is really thick now - I hope it will hold for the rest!!!!

Dawn said...

Awe Debbie what a fab page, I love your theme and how you have used both fabric AND clay - BRILLIANT.
Huge hugs x x x x

Melissa said...

Your book is fab!! I so hope to go there some day - I have a friend who owns a bed and breakfast by Loch Ness.

I love your Nessie - very cute.

Magic Love Crow said...

Nessie is so cute! Love the castles in the background! Excellent Deb! Your book is thick! I really hope it doesn't bust! Wishing you all the best my friend! Hugs ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Good grief. I thought I was signed in to Blogger and left a comment, only to hit the close button when asked to sign in, rather than enlarge. Gone was my comment, which I will try to remember.

I took a good look at your book in the second photo and I am sure it is sewn and will hold up under the pressure. I've had lots fatter books and they hold fine.

Your use of fabric combined with polymer clay was brilliant. That monster looks like it is truly sticking its head out of the water. This is very, very clever, and you managed to keep with your theme while completing the assignment.

Would you allow me to use some of your homework assignments as examples when I wrap up this book? Of course, it should go without saying, you will get credit for your work.

elle said...

This a wonderfully designed 2 page spread. You have combined several things and it all works great. Aren't these books getting fat! Super job!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

What a fun page!!!! :) I would love to see Scotland someday and view all that lovely green in person!

paulaexuk said...

Great spread Debbie, Scottish castles are wonderful and very atmospheric. Good use of the fabric on this page, really stands out.