Monday, September 24, 2012

Vacation Part 6

Our next stop was a brief visit to Misson San Juan Bautista, one of 21 missions that were started up and down the coast of California. It was founded in 1797 and still provides Catholic religious services.
There were several museum rooms, as well as a beautiful courtyard and garden. Of course. I was drawn to the cacti!
Just look at these blooms!
It is of interest to note that the San Andreas Fault line (the line where two of earths plates meet) runs just below the property out back, and indeed the mission was damaged by a big earthquake in 1906. Because the mission sits close to if not on the fault line, they have two seismic recorders on site. One I could not find; here is the other:
I'm glad our visit was brief!?!!
Moving on, we drove the famous scenic 17 mile drive along the coast.
It was nice to see my old, old friend, the lone cypress (tree) which has stood on its rocky outcrop for over 250 years. I last saw it about 30+ yeas ago.
After a brief visit to the famous Pebble Beach Golf Course to check the time...just kidding, but where else can you find a Rolex this big?! We did spend some time and were able to see the 1st tee and the 18th hole as well as some plaques of winners of tournaments held there. I grew up "watching" golf on TV because my Dad loves it, but I'm not that impressed with the game in general. No one on our tour played--I don't know why. A round of golf at this esteemed course only costs $495 + a cart fee!

We overnighted in Monterey which has a smaller Fisherman's Wharf area.
This pelican was very obliging! Just a few more stops to go! Join me next time for a visit to Hearst's Castle and some star gazing!








8 comments:

craftattack said...

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. But I can't understand why you didn't want to play a round of golf or two....Have a lovely day, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have brought back so many, many memories of California. While I was out there closing a facility my company owned, I took a four day (long holiday weekend) tour of the missions, all of which (as I recall), were on El Camino Real (the King's Highway). Although based in the LA area, I started in San Diego and traveled all the way to Sonoma. I followed a map on a travel brochure which showed all the places. As I recall, several of the missions were in disrepair and were in bad need of repair. But all had fantastic architecture, religious icons, and lovely murals/paintings.

It was also on that trip I visited the Hearst Castle. However, I must have missed Pebble Beach, not being a golf fan. Of course, the prices for a round of golf seem "fair" (NOT).

Thanks for sharing this fun leg of the trip.

Beadwright said...

This is my old stomping grounds girl. So glad you could see all the beauty there.
Nicole/Beadwright

Magic Love Crow said...

Love seeing everything Deb! I think it's so special about the lone cypress tree! $495.00, plus a cart fee? I'd rather go have a hot dog! LOL! Big Hugs ;o)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation.

Fondly,
Glenda

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

The building and the surroundings are beautiful- thanks for sharing your vacation pictures!

Mina said...

Oh, such beauty you have seen! I love the cactus blooms. Or would that be cacti? I can never get it right. lol Thank you for sharing such joy. Hugs, Mina

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Fabulous photos! I love seeing vacation photos, as there is always a fresh angle and perspective behind all the visits. :)