Thursday, September 6, 2012

Vacation Part 5

California, here we come! (Again!)
I assure you, we were not in the middle of an earthquake--I must have had the camera tilted when I took this photo! Do you know what color the Golden Gate is? Nope, not golden....it is International Orange! Selected for its high visibility. So, we are back in California...San Francisco to be exact. One of S.F.'s claims to fame, besides its famous cable cars, is that it is home to Lombard Street, one of the city's crookedest streets with 8 switchbacks.
Pardon the wires, but it was up a really steep hill, too!
There was lots of art all over the city, but these are a few of my favorites:
This giant Lotus flower sculpture sits in front of the S.F. City Hall. It is made of fabric and moves in the breeze.
These two were painted on the sides of buildings. The hummingbird one actually wraps around to another side.
By now, I am sure at least some of you have figured out that I spent a day "in Jail"
while visiting the famous Alcatraz.
Nicknamed "The Rock" Alcatraz was a federal maximum security prison from the 1930s until 1963 when it was closed.
Some of it's famous inmates included the gangsters, Al Capone and George "Machine Gun Kelly, and Robert Stroud who was known as the Birdman of Alcatraz and immortalized in the movie by the same name starring Burt Lancaster. He never actually had birds while in prison--the nickname came from his interest in canaries. Another well-known movie, Escape From Alcatraz, starring Clint Eastwood tells the story of an escape in 1962 where 3 prisoners used dummy heads in their bunks and made escape rafts out of raincoats.
All in all 36 prisoners attempted escape. All but 5 were accounted for. The 5 were presumed drowned, but the warrants remain open until each man would be 100 years old. Of course there is lots more to learn about this prison. If you would like to research it further, this is an interesting site.

Join me next time as we venture into the earthquake region!






10 comments:

craftattack said...

Love your photos of your trip. Alcatraz looks really grim, good that you only went for the day! The art pics are good, too, my fave was the huge flower. Valerie

Lori said...

What fun.. Havent been to SF in 20 years..Great pictures!

Roxanne said...

Lovely photos Debbie. Thanks for sharing.

see you there! said...

There you are, right in my back yard! I'm just a cross the Bay. Can't say I really like earthquakes and I've experienced many of them. We will have to get together if you come this way again.

Darla

New End Studio said...

Looks like you had good weather on this trip. One of my favorite parts of visiting SF was standing on the outside of the cable cars and riding them, fun.

Melissa said...

Cool - Alcatraz sounds like a fascinating stop...

Beadwright said...

SF is my old stomping grounds and I go back there every chance I get. I was just there last year.
Where are you heading next. Oregon?
You really are not that far from me. LOL
Nicole/Beadwright

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

OOOh I love San Francisco. We went there a couple of years ago and had the best time. The weather is awesome. And guess what hubs and I are going on vacation in a week to souther California this time, San Diego and I'm so looking forward to this trip. Your pics are awesome! :-)

Magic Love Crow said...

So much fun Deb! I have to be honest with you, I don't know if I could handle all of those hills! LOL! I love seeing the art! Alcatraz would be cool to see!!!

Christine Bennett said...

So cool! We did the night tour of Alcatraz - I really didn't like it - probably because it was so sobering and cheerless. We didn't get to drive on the Golden Gate bridge - although we did the harbour tour and rode under it :-) I'd love to go again.