Thursday, September 20, 2012

AB Lesson 17

Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still. --Chinese Proverb

In Lesson 17, Elizabeth teaches and demonstrates all about polymer clay. You can go here to see her post. I am already familiar with working with oven baked clays, but there is always something new to learn, and I devoured this lesson like I did all the others. Here is my spread:
I'm trying to keep in mind all the design principles we learned--like repetition!
The pink hearts in the dancers hands (or just released) are, of course, made from white and pink clay smooshed together, then rolled out, cut with cutters, and then altered the shape on one a bit. You probably can't see in the photo, but the 2nd little palm tree on the right page was cut out and added, as well as the left half of the middle palm tree. I was trying to give a little extra texture.

My AB is certainly getting fat & I now appreciate why we might want to gesso the cover first unless we planned to use its design for our cover design! The next lesson covers fabric, and I am working on a more intricate spread that includes polymer clay two. Stop by for the reveal in about a week and a half!

Again, thank you so much, Elizabeth, for taking us on the altered book journey!

12 comments:

Beadwright said...

Wow you are so good. The lay out of this page is very eye appealing. I love the colors and the way the hearts allow the eye to travel across the whole page.
Very nice.
Nicole/Beadwright

Lisa Criswell said...

your ab pages are always fun to look at. you're very talented! someday i'm going to have to try this.

craftattack said...

Your book is coming along really well, it will be a treasure of many memories when it is finished! Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You make me SO proud. You did this lesson even more than justice. You made it a true winner, while sticking to your theme. I'm so proud of what you have accomplished, including the clay! I knew this would be a fun lesson for you. I look forward to your next assignment as much as I looked forward to this one.

Flowermouse Design said...

Wow - you always come up with those creative multimedia pages. This is stunning Debbie - I love those little PC hearts!!!

Dawn said...

What a gorgeous spread Debbie, I love it. Your collage techniques are brilliant and I love the polymer clay additions, they really finish your pages off to a T. I totally chickened out of this lesson but I'm really looking forward to having a go with some fabric. Can't wait for your reveal my lovely and thank-you so much for your kind comments on my blog of late, really appreciate the support.
Big hugs x x x x

Melissa said...

it is always neat to learn something new, isn't it?

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a fun project! I love altering books.

paulaexuk said...

Good use of the theroies Elizabeth has taught us. Tiny pink clay hearts, that look like fans, clever

BJ said...

Cool pink hearts, love the sentiment of your page too. BJ

Magic Love Crow said...

Fantastic Deb! So pretty! Are you going to have to tie a string around the book to keep it together, when it's done?

Faerie Moon Creations said...

It's been fabulous to see your book taking shape. :) You really poured a lot of hard work into it - and it shows!