Monday, September 10, 2012

AB-Edges

Each day can be a continuation, an end, or a beginning. It's your decision. -unknown

Today, I am showing off my altered book page that focuses on decorative edges. You can read Elizabeth's post here.
My page was inspired by the beautiful button robes of the Pacific northwest. I first came upon these ceremonial robes while reading an article in a beading magazine, and was then delighted when I traveled to Alaska & saw them firsthand.

I used some black paper, red mulberry paper behind the cut outs and white ink to dot in the details. When done I glued down some white buttons to outline the shape. I wired some red buttons onto the page to do the edge. I was really pleased with the result, and in fact, it went on to inspire me to create a similar design (minus the buttons) in an aceo:
I call this one "Halloween Spirit". That's the great thing about art...the creation of one thing often leads to another!

15 comments:

Flowermouse Design said...

It looks really good. And it looks sewn - what a great effect!!

craftattack said...

Lovely idea, buttons can be a wonderful decoration! Valerie

see you there! said...

Great page, did you have trouble with those edge buttons? That process looks complicated.

Darla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

BRILLIANT. I knew you would make something totally unusual and unique. This is super and fits SO well with your theme.I can't beleive you sewed all those buttons on like that. That must have taken forever, but I know how good yu are with hand sewing. Again, about all I can say is BRILLIANT!

Beadwright said...

Very striking. I love how you combined it all so perfectly
Nicole/Beadwright

IrelandBrady said...

You have captured quite well the beauty and spirit of NW Coast button blanket robes. VERY nice!

Jenny Woolf said...

In some strange way the second one reminds me of Australian aboriginal art, too.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I love the both of them!!! So cool! I never knew you went to Alaska? I have been there too ;o) Loved it!

Knock Knock Street said...

Very nice! I like using buttons on some things I make. The same design with a different outcome, your Halloween Spirit looks good.

Lisa Criswell said...

very strong and beautiful artwork!

Roxanne said...

Love them Debbie! I would love to go to Alaska.

New End Studio said...

Wonderful, and I like the two variations with colors, you know they look like your favorite animal.

elle said...

Super page and very graphic. The buttons are very striking!

BJ said...

Fantastic edge, love the red buttons. BJ

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I love these! Reminds me of trees and their roots underground. Great work!